Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, "Trombone Shorty" is talking to me and I hear him; he's speaking his "Southern Soul", he's got a hard way to go, but those African and European genes he acquired from his ancestors forced indulgences, are not going to let him quit.
**** not just Black, but the most unique race of people to ever exist on planet earth ****

Now, if that isn't racist I don't know what is.  The crazy thing is, O-10, you then go on to support everything that you argued against for the last several days:

**** because they have drawn from the most infinite gene pool to ever exist: all the tribes of Black Africa, plus all the European genes as well; ****

A pretty good ethnological/musicological description of the roots of Jazz, I would say.  I thought your argument was that there was no African influence; never mind all the other ethnic influences?  Moreover, for whatever it's worth, Rok argued AGAINST the genetics factor and described it as an indication of racism.

I will concede that describing ideas in writing is not easy; however, the best we can do is take written words at face value.  However, as is often the case, there is a stunning, let's say, "fly with the wind" quality about much of what gets written here with dramatic contradictions for the sake of supporting and buttressing a point of view, however ill-conceived, that one is entrenched in.

**** Presently, that same resourcefulness, will be the only thing to get the working class out of poverty that has been created in the last 30 years.****

Agreed!  The solutions ultimately have to come from within.  Can't keep blaming wh*+tey forever.

Frogman, you sure know how to write, but you don't know how to reason; when genes are dispersed in such a casual manner, the only thing certain is the origin of the genes; the Black genes came from Africa. If you had studied all the various tribes of Africa as I have, you know what an incredibly diverse place it was before "they sold slaves". Unless the genes were dispersed scientifically, there could be no conclusion of who has them, or how they will be manifested.

People Black as the Ace of Spades have managed to be successful in the European manner when they came out of slavery; how this occurred is a mystery to "everybody". It's no mystery how the light skinned blacks who were educated because they were the masters offspring prospered; but how Black people as black as the Ace of spades prospered is most certainly a mystery to me.

When discussing something of this nature, a million people and a 50 year time span is not exorbitant.

When talking about anything or anybody, the most important question is; who was his daddy. Then we can go from there. Was he the little baby boy who was delivered to the penthouse in New York, or was he the sharecroppers son. (no matter what color, he got a tough roe to hoe.)

It's not a matter of blaming "Whitey" because he's in the same boat; the aristocracy has played it that way.

Post removed