Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

*****My definition of "Jazz" is that music that came after the "Bird"; he was the most influential man in the history of jazz.*****

Well, I tend to think Pops was the most influential man in Jazz.   Certainly the most Important.   And he came BEFORE bird, so I will give you the chance to 'rephrase' :).   For some reason I never took to Bird or Dizzy.   The sound quality of their records may be to blame for that.

*****The current music people call jazz is lost, it's like a river looking for an ocean, meandering all over the place. *****

Well said.  They never find the ocean, just a stagnant lake.

Cheers

Fellow aficionados, I have stated that the output of good jazz was affected by adverse economic events. I see very bad economic events that occurred from 2006 through 2008, and then again from 2010 through 2012. These events were like a fire storm for the lower middle class. Although they affected the "upper middle class", they were able to weather the storm.

These events didn't spare any geographical area. While I observed events that were occurring in my neck of the woods, such as large shopping malls going down, I'm certain these same events happened in your neck of the woods. These events occurred because so many people who kept those malls afloat, were left with very little "discretionary income."

Discretionary income is the amount of an individual's income that is left for spending, investing or saving after paying taxes and paying for personal necessities, such as food, shelter and clothing. Discretionary income includes money spent on luxury items, vacations, and nonessential goods and services.

Places where live jazz is played, are the sources of new musicians income, as well as new ideas for music. I recall a place I went to on the weekends that featured a group that centered around an African finger piano. While the instrument was unusual, the musician's ideas were so creative, that I haven't heard anything like it before nor since. That place had to close because of a business downturn. I have mentioned things that occurred in and around St. Louis, and Rok has countered as though these events just occurred in this area. When I mention these events, I am certain that similar events occurred all over the United States of America, at that same time, that affected the same economic "strata".

Rok, mentioned the news, "Do you watch the evening news"? I used to watch the evening news religiously, but when I realized how rarely it concerns me, I quit watching so much. The news is most important to the wealthy, my economic strata is non existent in a general sort of way.

If you are "upper middle class" economically, you weathered those storms that occurred in the four years I mentioned prior to now, but you should be feeling some of the effects now; a lot of things you didn't replace, need replacing now. I also notice strange things in the"Agoner" community; many are struggling to stay in the "high end", while others can buy a 100K amp as easy as buying a bag of popcorn. Also, high end names have gone way up in price, more than inflation can account for.

What does all of that have to do with music? What does all of that have to do with you? As time goes by you will discover these are not normal times, and all of that will affect you. My time began in 2006, and it's affects are still in play; that's very important to allegations I've made concerning the adverse effects of economics to music. I won't provide examples because all the varied cause and effects speak for themselves.

Rok, you and a lot of other people say the same thing; while It's not true for me personally, I can understand the validity of what you say.

In regard to "Bird" and "Diz", it's also true for you as well as me, that's manifested in all the "modern jazz" you like that they are responsible for. Think about all the musicians you like who will give "Bird" or "Diz" credit for their way of thinking about music.

I will go back through your posts of "Pops" if I have time, because your posts were of music that he made, while my awareness of him has been as an entertainer; think about old movie clips.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, this represents some of the best jazz of 2016, and I'm sure, that according to Frogman, if I could live very well without it, there is something wrong with my taste in jazz. I think I have already given a description of this music before I even heard it. Now we can get his take on this music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWiQIBRBqI&list=PLhgRBYq4z5qxoOJ_KN74IwlldurI-g9te

If this ain't a river looking for an ocean, I don't know what is, it sounds like lost people trying to find their way; lets hear what Frogman has to say about this most current music.
It's not a river looking for an ocean, it's not even water looking for a river, it's like clouds on a sunny day, in the middle of a severe drough,t trying to come together to create rain.

And to think Blanchard is from New Orleans.   Childhood friend of Wynton,   Played with Blakey.  The reincarnation  of Pops.   WTF!!!

And it was in Rotterdam.   They look to the USA to show the way in Jazz.

When the drummer took the stage wearing a tank top, I knew all I needed to know.   You can tell a lot by how they dress.

I do have him on CD doing better things.   Maybe I'll post some of his stuff.

BTW, he is huge in movie music.   Sad day in The Big Easy.

Cheers