Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, this is precisely the point when this thread starts to get in trouble.  As far as I am concerned there is no room on a thread like this for making a comment "exclusively" for a specific poster; especially when others have been part of the same discussion.  Seems to that if one wants to communicate "exclusively" one should send a pm.  It also seems to me that this is a way to keep different viewpoints out of the discussion; not good.  Btw, I don't agree with your comments re "recent music" and its supposed "lack of coherence".  Would love to discuss this further and have everyone participate; or, would you prefer a pm?

All this in the interest of having a more robust and healthier thread.

As Acman3 said: "Deja vu all over again".

Regards.

I'm all for an open discussion in regard to the music. I suggest we set time spans, and use music to specify exactly what we are referring to, for example; 50's and 60's for old music, and you and Acman can specify current music. But before we start, not all current music will apply to my allegations of not having a theme, just most.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

*****My definition of "Jazz" is that music that came after the "Bird"; he was the most influential man in the history of jazz.*****

Well, I tend to think Pops was the most influential man in Jazz.   Certainly the most Important.   And he came BEFORE bird, so I will give you the chance to 'rephrase' :).   For some reason I never took to Bird or Dizzy.   The sound quality of their records may be to blame for that.

*****The current music people call jazz is lost, it's like a river looking for an ocean, meandering all over the place. *****

Well said.  They never find the ocean, just a stagnant lake.

Cheers