Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

You know Rok, some people believe in just letting things ride, but I don't. It has been stated I don't know how many times, that if I left this thread, it would thrive; so I left it for maybe two months, and I saw no changes. You also left for awhile and I saw no changes; that means "conclusively" that this thread has all the people it's going to get. Rather than just let it ride, I want it to be stated, and if anyone disagrees let him (no need to say, "Or her") speak, or forever hold his peace.

I always see that in the movies, but this is the first time I've ever said it; that's real cool; I'll have to look for another opportunity to say it.

Enjoy the music.
I disagree.  First of all, I don't remember anyone ever suggesting that if you left the thread "it would thrive".  Since the last time this comment about "this thread has all the people it's going to get"   was made (not that long ago) there have been at least two or three new contributors and at least one of those is a regular.  The related comment that I and others have made is that it would serve the thread well if the elememt of elitism, intolerance, clickishness and simply bad manners that is sometimes introduced drives potential posters away; imo.

****  (no need to say, "Or her") ****

How do you know? 😄

I've got an album by an artist I've never seen featured on this thread; maybe there is someone who knows more about this artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M76zatuTtKg

Although not "jazz jazz" I like the music, and I was wondering; "What do you think"?

Enjoy the music.