Janis 15" Subs......Anyone???? B&W ASW-800 THX...

I have a set of the B&W ASW-800 subs and have considered moving to the Janis W-1 with the Janis amp/crossover.
I actually prefer the looks of the B&Ws (black ash) versus the Rosewood Janis. What would I expect from the Janis that I wouldn't get from the B&W's, or the other way around?

Has anyone heard, used, or owned W-1's?

Thanks
Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xporschecab

Showing 1 response by danner

I have all three Janis subs, a W1 (15) in a project studio, a W2 (15) in a home theater, & a W3 (12) in a small dedicated music room. They are matched with Tannoy 800 monitors (ss amp), Tannoy PBM 6.5 monitors (ss amp), and Merlin VSMs (SET tube amp). The drivers are quick and the continuously variable phase control provides good integration (I don't use the high pass filter but run the monitors full bandwidth). They are slot loaded which accounts for their quickness but also produces a resonance peak at about 315 Hz. Even with 18dB/oct crossover (fixed at 100Hz) I've noticed that using the same interconnects to my main amp and the Interphase amp to give best results. -- I have not heard the B&W sub so I cannot give a comparison but I can say I'm totally satisfied with how mine perform so I've never had the urge to try anything else.