Jadis DA 60 Integrated

Been looking at this amp and am curious what it is about the design that requires 8 KT88s to produce 60wpc whereas most other amps e.g. Ayon Spirit 2 require only 4 for the same or close wpc?
facten

Showing 5 responses by flg2001

I own a DA50Signature rated at "only" 30 watts, it is a pure class A design using four KT88 output tubes - it handles my power hungry Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage at easy, just as my previous Gryphon pre/power combo with the virtues of tubes.

The DA60 is a very powerfull amp, I understand it does not run all times at Class A (but I might be wrong here) and power should not be any issue with it for a medium listening area.

Hope this helps.
Phaelon - The design pholosphy behind both of them is quite different, The DA60 is a Class A/AB design where power is key in the decision process, the DA88S (or my own DA50S) are pure class A designs (more recent models in the Jadis line) where the benefits of class A is important (more liquidity, better textured and relaxed presentation).

I am not saying that the DA88S sounds better than the DA60, it is just a matter of deciding the balance you are looking for in power and delicacy variables, any of them will serve you well in any system configuration and are great amps in the market by all means.
Phaelon - I have had the opportunity to hear them all - either in my own systems, or at friend's installations, and some at the local dealer show rooms. Both the DA60 and the DA88s produce a very dynamic presentation and handle almost all kind of speaker load and sensitivities with easy, to my ears the DA88s is more refined and textured, which might seem apealing to some since others would lean towards a more solid articulation of notes and a tad better attack of the DA60 - again - both are excellent and would not stand on the one-is-better-than-the-other camp at all.

Trejla - My appologies for the confusion I created on the A/AB design - reading again and checking with the Jadis dealer he confirmed, as you also said, that both are pure class A implementations and the difference in design reside in some better parts selection on transformers and shortest signal paths of the more expensive Signature desgins.

Finaly - I decided for the DA50S over the DA88S because of the additional purity I got from just two tubes per side against 4 per side which was noticable at least for me for the kind of material I listen the most (Jazz, Early Music and Blues).

Fernando
Trelja - After 30 years in this hobby, one clear lesson I have received is that system matching is far more critical than independently picking the "best" component at each link of the chain - there is surely a better balance with your sources and speakers with the DA30 than with the DA60.

It took me almost 3 years to return to a well-balanced system since I left a nice Pass/Avalon/Wadia/VPI combination until now with the Jadis/Reimyo/Sonus Faber/Avid based system, expensive lesson for sure. :-)

Take care,
Lula - In my case, I have had in my system two Jadis amps so far with the Sounus Faber Guarneri's - the DA50S and a pair of JA30. Both handle the speakers very well in my mid-sized room.

Class A amps deliver more than its rated output (I can't explain why) but my late amp was an Acoustic Plan Sitar (which was great with my Avantgarde speakers) but too polite on the Guarneris, it was rated at 40 Watts per channel.