It was 40 years ago today.....

40 days ago to the day I bought Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and I remember we were floored listening to it that night. Tonight I will get out the ol vinyl copy, celebrate and "take the time for a number of things - that weren't important yesterday"...... this one for sure is and will always be!
aida_w
I must be in the minority. I like the LP, alot, but don't consider it the greatest LP of all time. I don't even think it the best Beatles LP. When playing the Beatles I will always go for Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road before SPLHCB. I do understand the cultural and artistic significance of the record and how it changed the concept of using the studio as an artistic tool.
the newer emi uk or japanese pressings are fine....i can remember kids in my hometown record store discussing the signifigance of each and every person on the album's cover....a pop culture history lesson had by thousands at the same time....and lyrics on an album sleeve, and a custom label and cut outs....the lp as an 'official' feature length experience!
@Jeffrey: I am running the original Capitol Record which I bought that very day here in Germany. Other than that I have the Japanese CD - God knows how these technicians did what they did: an absolutely thrilling hearing experience is the result! I'd love to see George Martin ans his son continuing the work they started with LOVE which is a similar high end experience.
@ Narrod: no problem! I consider Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt.Pepper, parts of the White Album and parts of Abbey Road being the Opus Magnum "in total" of the Beatles' work. In a way some songs on Rubber Soul are the best what they ever did, but I tend to see the context - and there is quite some of it in SP. And imagine Strawberry, Penny Lane and Walrus would have been included in Sgt. Pepper - that would have been too much, right?
Greatest Band of All Time. Yes, that was a special release, talk about "word of mouth" spreading the gospel.

I usually spin them most weekends but tonight I will break out the UHQR Pepper and have all the justification I ever needed for spending coin on stereo equipment.

Have Fun!
Tonight I will open my Japanese Blue Set and play Sgt for the first time. I was only 6 but I remember Dad telling me it was going to be an important album. Now I'm Dad telling my kids that OK Computer was only the beginning.