It's time to replace my 2009 factory-modded Wadia S7i with a current R2R DAC.

Having finally emerged from the rabbit hole of review leading on to review (doubting I'd ever come back),  I found that most  assess their DAC's performance based on source input from computers or servers. 

But I have a collection of cd's that I wouldn't live long enough to load  into a server, nor do I foresee streaming from commercial libraries or using USB/HDMI connectivity.

So, my question:: do present-day machines perform equally as well using native mode PCM hard discs played from a transport ?

Oh and ..have any lovers of the Wadia house sound found  equivalent sound in a R2R DAC ?

Thanks,

- John

128x128dr-john
Mojo Audio. Ben’s unit destroyed my Exogal Comet Plus in about four notes. 
+3 on the Mojo Mystique.  I have the v3 and love it.  Other R2R dacs I was considering:  SW1X and Audio Note
dCS Rossini Player with Rossini Clock.
It takes both pieces to exceed the performance of the S7i, but they do.
My experience with decent CD player vs. decent standalone DAC, server and HD is that they will perform very similarly.  What is most important and what will deliver best performance is clock synchronization from server to DAC.  If they don't synch, the goal should be to use the DACs clock, not the servers.  

Not sure where your budget is but Rockna is my favorite R2R. At every price they compete, they are the best DAC that I have heard.

Read the reviews. The Wavelight is a hair warm and they get progressively more neutral as you go to the Wavedream Edition and Wavedream signature. The product is very highly regarded.

The only DACs I have heard that are clearly better than my Wavedream Signature is the MSB Reference & Aries Cerat. I would take the Wavedream Signature and NET server over a Rossini any day.  But that is me.  I like Rockna's more natural sound.  

I am looking forward to a side-by-side with the Playback Design Dream DAC.  I am going to be ordering a Playback soon I think.