It's not the sound I want!

My system consists of a Krell kav300i, Aeriel Acoustic 6s and AdcomGCD750. I have Cardas cables , Jenalabs interconnects and Synergistic Research ac chords. It sound great at times but I find many cds hard to listen to. I listen to vocals with acoustic guitar and the guitar sounds detailed but so metalic and unnatural. It sounds like sombody is playing a saw with a bow. Is this what digital really sounds like? Is it sytem matching? I dont think it is the speakers. Is it just a matter of settling for the best we can get for $8000.00 and limiting what we listen to?
blbloom
I agree with Kkirkpa don't do anything rash - I would work to get the best out of what you have first. There are a lot of things you can do to take the 'edge' off of your system. I have had GREAT success tuning my system with Bybee products and Black Diamond Racing Cones/Parts and the (ridiculously expensive) Shunyata power cords. It is amazing how far these things go to improve the sound and take the edge off of what sounds like a great system. Why throw away a group of components you found and like? Things like the stand they are on, and power cords can really make a big difference. I would contact DJ at BDR to get his advise (he's a no BS guy who will tell you if he thinks it won't help) and then borrow some cables (the Cable Company is good for this) and try to find ways to 'tune' what it sounds to me is a sound you are basically happy with. I have a Meridian 508-24 and Pathos Twin Towers and I too was surprised to find CDs somtimes sounding a bit hard compared to my VPI MK4. $8-grand is a lot of scratch for system; I would focus on taking reasonable steps toward cleaning it up before I started swapping major component out.
I have listened to the Aeriels with Classe` equipment and I can assure you the problem is not the speakers. They are wonderful with the Classe` gear. Try "The Cable Company", They will let you audition Harmonic Technology cables. They are not expensive (relative to your system) and at the least can let you relax a bit while listening to the Adcom. I think they may help you here. You dont have much to lose by trying them out. Good luck. Let us know how things progress.
Borrow a good turntable (VPI, Gouldman, Rega, Linn, Project, etc.) from a buddy or dealer! You'll be amazed how good your system sounds. Your system is so revealing that you are hearing artifacts of the digital source.
I suggest before spending alot of money, to work on your speaker placement or room response. If your room overemphises high mids/low trebles it can be fatiguing, and acoustic and electric guitars will sound edgy or shrill. I am a guitar player and am very picky about tone, and I have never had a problem with guitar tone with my c.d. players. Maybe I've just been lucky.
I want to thank you all for your taking the time to post a response. I believe I received a lot of good information. I borrowed a Meridian 508.24 cd player and tried it with my system. The difference was not as much as I expected. There was a bit more air and transparency, and I found it to be smoother on some recordings that were quiet, like Kieth Jarret's new album of solo piano. Otherwise to me the sound was very close and at this time, I don't think worth the extra $3000. I am considering a used Meridian or Wadia 830 if I find the right deal, but on the whole I would say that this experience has helped me to appreciate the sound I have now. I also played with speaker location and found that greater toe in reduces the harsh sound I was hearing. I know there are some acoustic problems with my room, but as it is my living room, and the system already dominates, I am limited in what I can do there. I will post soon and ask for advice on this topic. I have also played with cables and interconnects (Cardas Golden Cross) and found that there is not a noticable difference here. The Jenalabs are actually more nuetral and have all the same good qualities. Thanks Again, Blbloom