Isolation Transformers

I bought an isolation transformer from a fellow selling his home audio gear about a year or so ago. It’s a 12” cube that weighs roughly 60 lbs and has 8 plugs in the back. It was apparently used in a hospital. 
I have most of my gear including a tube preamp plugged into it mostly for protection purposes. It puts out a constant 124v which is a few more than what I get directly from the wall socket.
Anyone else using this sort of device as a “power conditioner” and what are the pros and cons of using one? I’m guessing delivering a constant voltage (almost) regardless of the load is the main advantage of this type of device but am wondering if it impedes full current delivery at high amplifier loads. Thanks. 
128x128kalali

Showing 2 responses by oicu812

Isolation transformers have many uses. Google is your friend, punch in what model you ended up with and it's specs. Start with the link below for an explanation to the basics:
http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/transformers-when-to-use-and-how-does-it-work
When did they start printing ’hospital grade’ on anything that was? dang, has it really changed that much since I was in the field? OP did say older isolation transformer?

I guess things have: Hospital grade receptacles include the same markings that appear on general use receptacles, and also include “Hospital Grade” or “Hosp. Grade”, typically on the back of the receptacle where visible during installation

Wasn’t always so. I guess code revisions took a big friggin change to assure no mistake. Guess they factored in no one pays attention to the spec sheets any longer. ..hmph
Reminds me of those on the job concentrating solely on their electrical prints and were clueless to look at the architectural and others...*laffs