Isn't a wondeful time to be an audiophile?

With all the new lower or intro priced vs. performance gear coming out recently. And with choices of sources, CD/ Streaming. I'm just thinking of how it must be for the newly converted. I started out back in the mid seventies. Let's see,if I remember correctly - Phono, Linn. Ortophon Dynevector Audio Technica?  Reel to Reel, Cassette. Dolby filters. Ohm's F, Snell, JBL speakers. Just to name a few. But I am impressed with the performance vs. price ratio of some of the new gear I've heard. For which ever reason, technical, marketing, production. There are certainly I believe not only more products to choose from but the choices are more affordable as well.
128x128joes44
My greatest jaw drop at last year's Axpona was Elac's entry-level system.  Sound per Pound/$ was off the charts.

Also like the curated digital playlist, which is a great step forward from the record producer, disc jockey, and star-maker machinery.  But artists need to be compensated fairly.
With many components relatively cheap now, one can afford to take a chance without fear of losing to much money on passing it on if it does not suit one's taste. I bought an N150 Powernode for $299 and a Node N100 for $199 both on special and they are both very satisfying in sound quality and were well worth the gamble/risk. 
elizabeth  Music was only what was played on the AM stations.
Not true. maybe in the sixties but not in the late seventies. I listened to alternative rock stations  WBCN & WFNX. & WBUR  eg. .  punk was just starting out and at the time and especially WBUR Boston University would play demo tapes or record singles that a new band would come out with before the official release or even record contract. Blondie, Ramones, the Cars, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, X Ray Specs. ect. ect. So at the time we would call each other or tape it and share it with friends waiting for the album, we were ahead of the curve.