Is vinyl dead ?

Has anyone else noticed the lack of vinyl gear and accessories in the latest Audio Advisor catalogue ? Have sales slipped so much that they no longer feel the need to include this category of products in their catalogues ? Makes you wonder what's going on ??? Sean
>
sean

Showing 2 responses by stevem1960

Of course vinyl is NOT dead !!

Vader: I've run Bel Canto DAC-1 and Perpetual Technologies P3A DACs for the last couple of years and was quite happy with them until I heard a Roksan Xerxes/Koetsu Rosewood turntable a couple of weeks ago. The sound of the vinyl set-up is so superior to CD, it's not funny!

I too, don't like the pops and crackles and the inconvenience of records - but there's no denying its superior sonic qualities.

See my post on the 'et tu Koetsu' thread.

Regards,

Steve M.
Vader: Just saw the pics of your system, very nice!

Please don't take offence, but I'm amazed at the amount of money people spend on tweaky things. It's as if you get to a level where you've GOT all the good things, and then there's nowhere left to go so you start looking for things in rainbows.

The secret to good sound is system synergy and finding hardware that suits your taste. Instead of all those fancy cables and power conditioners you would be amazed ( for less money) if you simply plonked a secondhand high-end turntable in there, or switched your speaker to an electrostatic/panel/horn design or one using exotic hi-tech materials like Beryllium/Raven Ribbons/Accuton Ceramics.

All those fancy cables are appropriately named after snakes - Powersnakes/Pythons/Black Mamba...all 'snake oil' stuff, IMHO.

Please don't flame me for this guys, just trying to give another perspective.

Regards,

Steve M.