Is using an Apple Computer a weak link...?

Hey Guys - 

So here's what I'm thinking.....

What I have Now:
  • Aurender A10 
  • Gryphon Diablo 300
  • Sonus Faber Serafino Tradition Speakers

What I'm thinking of getting:
  • Denafrips Terminator Plus with Gaia Digi to Digi Converter
  • Dedicated Apple LapTop connected via USB to the Denafrips
  • I can run Tidal - Qubuz and Roon, etc. from the LapTop configuring output to the highest resolution

Denafrips Terminator Plus:

Denafrips Gaia:

The Reviews are pretty gorgeous for the money - But I won't be able to listen to it all until I un-box it all and set it up. A risk for sure....but then a lot of fun...! 

Is using the apple computer a weak link...?

Thanks for your advice...!

128x128jomonhifi

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

Dedicated streamers are just computers that have been optimized for audio performance.   Compared to a bog standard PC they tend to have better parts, better power supplies, and inject less noise. Programs such as Audirvana do help the sound from a computer.
The noise issue is real, but it isn’t like like vinyl, where it sounds like frying bacon.  It is mainly the depth of the black background.  Compared to better equipment, the music just doesn’t seem to emerge from nothingness, and therefore seems a little less tactile.  You don’t really notice it until you compare with better equipment.
@audiotroy 

my first sentence was “Streamers are just computers that have been optimized for audio performance “

Your post isn’t a refutation, it just supplies the details for a particular streamer that you sell.  It’s still a computer.
Why am I being so pedantic?  Because while I am sure that what you sell is a fine product, my point is that the vast majority of streamers are bound to offer some advantage over a standard, multi functional personal computer, because they have been optimized to do just 1 task that such a computer has to perform.  For a newbie, it might make more sense to compare a more entry level model to a personal computer.  Then, if the experience takes and funds allow, start going after premium products such as the one you sell.