is upgrade to REF110 worth it from vt100mkIII?

Now that ARC REF110 is discontinued, I am on the look out for some unit, although still expensive in EU at more than 7500 euros. I have read rave reviews about REF110 and have no doubt that it is superior to my audio Research vt100 mkIII power amp, which I have along an ARC REF3 pre, ARC DAC8 and B&W803D. I just wonder if my current B&W speakers are now the bottleneck in the system, and I might not notice the so much promised improvement with a better amp such as Ref110 or other? anyone has some experience to help me on this one? Unfortunately, i will have a tough time to try a Ref110 in my system to help me decide. Thanks.
uncle_dito

Showing 3 responses by lloydelee21

Hi Uncle dito, the 803s are excellent speakers and i think will continue to reveal the improvements in your amplification. The question is whether the 110s will have enough juice to satisfy the 803s. I have heard the 210s and remember the dealer making 2 comments: 1) not the last word in all-out power which should be considered when partnering with tougher loads that require good damping (i think your 803s might be in a category where they respond well to gripping power; 2) the 110s/210s are not the last word in bass damping where the 803s also respond well in particular.

If you are comfortable with these 2 elements being more familiar as an owner than i (who have only auditioned not owned)...i did find the 803s responded well to upstream changes such as the ones you suggest.

everyone will have their 2 cents...i would love to hear what you think of using a Pass amp with those speakers given the rest of your system...for 7500 euros, you could buy quite a lot of Class A SS power which will be smooth, powerful, controlled but sweet. and with your existing tubes, possibly a beautiful combination (to my ears, not necessarily to yours). two cents. good luck!
Uncle dito,

its all a personal opinion...if u are happy, that is the most important thing. i have found the bigger the b&w, the more damping control it tends to like...and they respond well to it. Worth a listen if you can. if not, ARC is great stuff...enjoy!