Is this the solution to LP static issues?? Seems to be!

Last night i was listening to a superb original RCA white dog pressing of Lena Horne and Harry Belafonte ( if you can source this, i highly recommend it!) 
I noticed that all of my prior LP's were exhibiting considerable static attraction to my felt mat on my LP12. Not this one!!! How come, since the LP was played at the same time as the others, in the same system, the same room temperature etc.?? I noticed on the cover of the album the following large sticker: Miracle Surface, This record contains the revolutionary new antistatic ingredient, 317X, which helps keep the record dust free, helps prevent surface noise, helps insure faithful sound reproduction on Living Stereo.  

Whatever this additive is that was put on this album back in 1959 sure works well!! Anyone know what 317X is?? Why are we NOT using this stuff today??
128x128daveyf
Back when I was developing the Redpoint Turntable with Peter, we had terrible static issues in the Winter. The solution for our designs may be relevant to you.

We grounded the bearing to the phono stage (any earth ground will do). You might not expect a bearing whose only electrical path from the platter surface to ground is the capacitive coupling between the bearing spindle and body (a distance on the order of .0001", separated by lubricant), but it does.

Obviously, there are two approaches to this problem: (1) keeping static from being generated, and (2) draining it to ground. Either one or both are viable solutions. I don’t want static production to dictate my record to platter interface, so I prefer option 2. Anyone who has experimented with the sonic effects of different mats (and their effect on energy transfer) will understand why.

I rebuild Fender Telecasters as a diversion, and I’ve found that some pickguard materials generate quite a bit static. Irrespective of whether I shield the pickup cavities, I’ll use some conductive foil under the pickguard to connect it to ground. Problem solved.

... Thom @ Galibier Design
One of our crazy designs (never made it to production) generated so much static, that, you could see sparks jumping from the platter to the turntable base. I kid you not. It didn't manifest until we hit the low-humidity Winter months, and needless to say, it came as quite a surprise ;-)

@thom_at_galibier_design  Thanks for your thoughts on this. How do you ground the bearing to the phono stage? Isn't this done via the tonearm cable ground to the phono stage, which is the only way i can think of...particularly with my Linn table. 
Hi @daveyf,

Grounding the bearing is specific to the turntable and its construction.

On our turntables, we have a dedicated grounding screw on the bottom of the bearing. You’d have to look at your turntable to see if you can adapt something in order to accomplish this.

I’m not current on Linn subchassis construction (they used to be stamped sheet metal). I’d look somewhere in this general area, while of course, taking care to not mess up your suspension tuning.  I'd do so by probing with an ohm meter (one end on the record spindle), to see how far away from it you can find continuity (to attach a ground lug).

Your tonearm cable ground (the 5th wire) is primarily intended to carry the shield through the arm tube (metal arm wands, obviously). Finishing methods like anodizing aluminum or titanium create an insulating layer, and this will interrupt the connection to the armboard, etc.