Is there such a thing as too much power?

I downgraded power from 300 watts per ch to 70 and I like the sound better! I always thought more power is a good thing, but could that be wrong?

Please enlighten me...
gongli3
Not all Watts are equal.  That's why one 50watt amplifier may sound better than another 50watt amp.  We drove a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s with a pair of 80wpc Stax amplifiers to uncomfortable levels that a 300wpc Kenwood could not achieve.  Of course, in 1980s dollars, the Stax was $3000 more then the Kenwood.

I have experience on damaging speakers with Too little watts.  Driving them into distortion and all of a sudden, no tweeters.

The Watt wars has been going on since the intro of solid state and went off the charts with the Japanese solid state invasion in the 80’s. Manufacturers have convinced just about everyone that if you have an 80 watt amp and a 100 watt amp the 100 watt amp is "better" and louder. In general the maximum watt rating of an amp is a worthless number for comparing amps within 2x (or more) the power rating. As someone mentioned dBs use a logarithmic scale so to increase the loudness by 3dBs (not much) you need double the power. So comparing that 80 and 100 watt amp there will be about a 1dB theoretical max increase at full power. You will never hear this!

More important is the design of the power supply and its power reserves. The watt rating is calculated with a constant tone played till it clips. But if a power supply has ample reserves it can deliver many times the wattage rating for short peaks without clipping. For most listening this is more desirable than having an amp with a marginal supply that barely covers its rating. To get a better idea about the real power output and how well it can drive a difficult load check the specs and see if it can double down (or come close) the watts going from a 8 ohm to a 4 ohm load. If it goes to 2 ohms even better. This gives a good approximation of how good the power supply is. I would take a 70 watt amp that doubles down over a 300 watt amp that only has a small increase in watts at a lower ohm load  any day.
300W RMS per channel minimum!

Or go home!
  O substitute for power and headroom
Used amps w 100W 150 W!, 200W, 300W, AMD my current amp are 650W RMS.  

the 650 W and 200W are the best amps. I’ve used!

1 watt, 80 watts. Waste!

Buy power for crescendos,, and headroom!

dont look back