Is there Really a difference between a Krell 400xi intergrated amp and the newer Vandgard?

I currently own a Krell 400xi intergrated amp. It has 200 watts a 750k toroidal, balanced inputs, etc. Its very similar to the current vanguard intergrated amp in terms of similar spec's. I would like to know if anyone upgraded and if it was worth it? Is the sound different does it go lower, deeper, more of an open sound stage or should I just consider another route to improve what I already have.

thanks,

matt00

Showing 3 responses by herndonb

** Krell dealer disclaimer **
The Krell Vanguard is the best sounding integrated amp they've ever made.  I've spend lots of time with the KAV-300i, KAV-400xi, F.B.I., S-300i, and S-550i.  The Vanguard wallops them all.  The detail, the lack of distortion and smear is SO much better than all of the others.  It's also a serious work horse, I've run it in situations it was not designed for, and I was amazed at how it put up with it.  Krell rules!  :-)
-Brian

The Vanguard is made Connecticut, not China.  There is nothing wrong with the "voicing" of the Vanguard.  It's the best sounding integrated Krell has ever made.  While it doesn't have the massive build of the FBI, I'm sorry, it does sound better in EVERY way.  It's far more detailed, has a larger soundstage, is much faster, less smear, way less blare and harshness.  I repeat, the Vanguard is the best sounding Krell integrated.  Some people like to get caught up in specs...but listen to it with open ears. 

As an aside, I compared my EV900e monos to the new Solo 575 monos.  On paper it's no contest, but when you actually listen, the Solo 575 are far more listenable, have even more control in the bass, much more open and effortless.  I even have a recording of EVO vs. Solo, no one has not heard the improvement.  I assumed the 50k 900e would be hugely better, but if you listen, and put the specs aside for a minute, Krell has moved forward here.  Both the Vanguard and the iBias line of amps are their best sounding gear.  I'm a dealer, but I'm also a critical, daily listener and user.

jafant - located in ABQ, NM.  Operation called Herndon Audio.

dave_b - couldn't have said it better, been a Krell dealer since 1994, while each Krell gets better and better, each is state of the art for it's time.  That said, the new iBias amps and the new Vanguard integrated are their best yet.  They are less smeared, more transparent, have even more control everywhere, more focused and percussive, most musical, and the largest soundstage ever!  Krell rules!  :-)