Is there anything better than live recordings?

Other than attending the concerts themselves?

I say NO.

👍

128x128jjbeason14

With my very large music collection, I have no preference studio or live.  First is the performance.  Some performers are great live and terrible in studios.  (Mark Hambourg-pianist with 300 mediocre 78s versus great live performer).  Alternatively, live versus studio recordings vary immensely in quality of sound.  E.g. Ramsey Lewis in Chicago, fantastic live recorded sound while most of his Argo studio recordings also excellent sound.  I much prefer studio rock recordings to most live ones.  I don't discriminate on sound alone but a bad sounding recording in either is not appreciated.  (I just acquired an additional 3000 LPs and 4700 CDs-yikes!)

I much prefer studio rock recordings to most live ones.

Much depends on engineer, group, as many times they set up microphones and sound only relying on soundcheck without putting into account, the audience, microphones moving from original positions, the lighting, and many more.

100% DIS-agree!

Live performance is just that... it's a performance. An ephemeral event.

A studio recording is "A WORK OF ART".  It's a different thing entirely, and is to be admired in a totally different way.  Would you ever demand a real-time "performance" from a painter?  Would you ask him/her to make a painting in front of an audience, and then hold that painting up to scrutiny for years to come?  No, that's not how we judge and admire paintings, photos, or sculptures.

A studio album is a non-realtime creation, and is a completely different thing than a live performance.  Bear in mind that I'm NOT dumping on live recordings.  I love live Studio recordings.  I typically do not like recordings in front of an audience however, as most don't sound very good.  

"Live in the studio", which many jazz dudes (and some others) do, can sound amazing. Lots of pop music takes months to record, sweating over details and overdubs...some of my fave jazz musicians (or perhaps most of them) like Julian Lage or John Scofield record entire albums in a couple of days with astonishing results. 

There’s a difference between sonics and content. I assumed that the OP was addressing sonics as this is a high-end audio forum