Is there a killer preamp for 1500?

I'm looking for the best preamp I can get for $1500 or less. I like tubes, but will consider SS if there's a compelling reason. I've been using passive preamps for the past year and really appreciate their transparency, openness and silence. I'm looking for similar qualities in your recommendation.

More than likely, I'll be buying used. Phono stage is unnecessary. Remote volume would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. Amps are Antique Sound Lab AQ1008. Input impedance 100k. Input sensitivity 1v. Speakers are Alon Model V.

Any thoughts on the usual suspects?

Modwright
AI Mod3A
Rogue 99
VTL 5.5
BAT VK-3I

Thanks for your help!
mingles

Showing 1 response by sleepless

Hi there,

I would highly recommend a Blue Circle BC-3 if you can find a used one. They don't have remotes, are really big and heavy but they sound wonderful. My partner plays piano and bass and feels that the preamp with Siemans tubes has perfect pitch. They usually go for around 1300-1500. Also, they have a nice smooth top-end that is very well extended, good detail and they also extend well in the bass. Only limitation is a lack of bass detail compared to really good ss preamps. Also, they have tons of drive. I would add that to your list.