Is there a difference?

I have never had nor heard a $50,000 audio system,probably never will.Have heard systems in the $5,000 range,not mine but a few friends.Was wondering from those who may know how big a difference is there in sound quality from those two price points per say and how much would one need to spend in your opinions to have I guess you would say musical bliss?
john421

Showing 6 responses by zd542

"10-09-15: John421
Yes I understand not putting a price on good sound,guess we'd all be having boom boxes!Yet I have had members compliment me on my small vintage system,I like how it sounds for as little I paid for it.But have had just as many on this forum bash my system and say it's junk.So it would seem some do determine the sound based on how much it costs.

I meant that comment literally. I use in my main system either my Vandersteen 2's or 3's. I can buy speakers that cost
substantially more, but I prefer the ones I have. Unlike this damn laptop I'm now using that has a mind of its own. We'll see how it likes meetinbg the wheels of my car just as soon as I buy its replacement on my way home tonight.
"10-09-15: Inna
'Bliss'-no- but I think $15k used is a good figure, considering 200sqf room and 8' ceiling.
$4-$5k used being minimum."

Just throwing numbers around as to what will pass for entry level good sound is really meaningless. If you spend 15k on a system, the only thing you're guaranteed to get is a system that costs 15k.
"10-10-15: Jmcgrogan2

0-09-15: Robsker
John421 --- those who bash your system here are like people who drive a BMW and bash a Camry owner. the Camry is just as comfortable, just as quiet, is much, much, much more reliable, will last much longer is a vastly superior value. Even in the absolute, the Camry is 95% the car at 1/2 the price. So... like the BMW guy --- when someone bashes your system it is likely snobbery and people who like glitz, flash, and prestige and are willing to pay for it.

+1. Very well said Robsker! Many equipmentphiles trying to validate their purchases here."

The only problem with classifying a product as status only is that sometimes people buy them for other reasons. Every car has a unique look and feel to it. Someone may like a BMW for what it is, and not consider it a status symbol. I've heard many comments over the years about tube amps. Some people look at the spec sheets on tube amps and come to the conclusion that they can't be as good as a SS amp, so audiophiles buy them for status reasons. Boutique equipment, is the term they use most. I don't know about anyone else here, but I bought my tube components for how they sound, and for no other reason.
If your hearing is so messed up, how did you end up with Vandersteen and Ayre in your home system?