Is the Sony xa5400es better than scd-1?

is the sony xa5400es better sounding than scd-1? please i needs your comments.
jopi88
Bill Thalmann at music technology did the work.

I also compared the 5400 unmodded to the SCD-1 paired with the Chord 64 DAC. Bit more bass with the Chord/SCD combo. Other than that identical. Post mod it of course trounces the Chord/SCD unit.
Okonrad writes:
Now I suspect if you had a full VSE Level 7 modification done to the SCD-1 it would be competitive with my modded 5400, but barring that, its just not even close.
I visited Allen Wright in Schaffhausen and compared his level 7 SCD-777ES with Uber Clock against a 5400 modified with the single-ended board and Terra Firma Light and they were very close. I preferred the bass snap on the 5400 and very marginally preferred the top end of the 777 - they are so similar in the mid-range.

A 5400 with a balanced output board and the Uber Clock would, I expect, be superb. That's exactly where I'll go with my 5400 once I've been through my collection of SACDs.

Who did your mods?

Regards,
Okonard:

I had the same experiance when I compared the scd-1 to the xa9000es side by side. Not as heavy duty as the old scd-1 but of equal build quality. I kept the xa9000es.
Okonrad, I'd be curious to know if you've compared the upgraded output of the 5400 to the Chord 64. Thanks.
I set the SCD-1 and the 5400 for a side by side comparison and matched levels. On redbook it wasn't even close. The 5400 is much more dynamic. Everything has more rhythmic snap. Also vocal elements recorded in a live space have appreciably more air and presence. It was very palpable on a lot of vocal recordings. Wide, deep soundstage. Very 3-D. In comparison the SCD-1 sounded rather flat and one dimensional.

Playing SACD's, the 5400 presented the music with more air and presence but differences between the units were not as dramatic (as I would expect).

I subsequently had a VSE Uber Clock and Balance Output Board upgrade done the 5400. Everything was taken to another level. Comparable and in some instances superior to vinyl.

I love my SCD-1. It's in my office hooked up to a Chord 64 DAC to some vintage McIntosh electronics, and like the McIntosh gear, it's a classic. The 5400 does not come close to the build quality of tank like SCD-1, but sonically the 5400 is its sonic superior (as it should be after 10 years). Now I suspect if you had a full VSE Level 7 modification done to the SCD-1 it would be competitive with my modded 5400, but barring that, its just not even close.
Wow a XA5400ES for $700 would make me seriously reconsider my inclination to quit SACD.

Mark
07-22-10: Buconero117
Wait for the refurb's of the 5400, rumored to sell at $699.
Buconero117

They already have my email address to contact me when the refurbs start showing up!!Gotta love the boys at Sonystyle!!
Have both and especially on redbook, the 5400 is materially better. On SACD marginally better.
I called the Sony outlet store in Aurora IL and they said they have them in stock for $1499. He checked the model twice and said they are in stock.

Tim
If you don't own the 5400 it has disappeared from the market and it appears was discontinued by Sony. I'd like to see it back.