Is the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge or Lumin D2 good buys in 2021?

...only because we’re so close to 2021.

I just bought both devices, have them running direct to Elac Navis ARF-51’s (which are amazing btw).  Both devices sound good, are close in price, and have similar functionality (yes the BB has more ins).  
Display on the Lumin is straight out of 2012, Mytek‘s is not much better.  Mconnect is absolute trash, while the Lumin app is decent.  Really like the physical volume knob of the Mytek, overall aesthetics, and WiFi connectivity.

Both are dated devices.  Are either of these devices good buys in 2021?  If so, which one? What about service life?

helloitsben
I am curious if you've tried either with Roon?  That would be my big reason for using the Mytek Bridge.
Why would Roon in anyway be the answer to his question.  Do the Elac's have their own built in DAC?  IF so you don't need either one but especially not the one running off of  Mconnect as good luck with software support from Mytek. 
I don’t think my reply is a complete non-sequitor, @jackd, at least a third of the OP's post described issues with the DAC’s he is auditioning have to do with the streaming software and control.

Honestly, using Roon, I never touch my DAC.

Erik

The D2 is the entry level combo product from one of the long time leaders in the streaming industry who developed and continues to update their product on a regular basis so at least you have software support with a no nonsense design and build. They Mytek because of their use of the "contracted" Mconnect app I wouldn't  touch. So if he bought them to be a Streamer/Dac and he thinks they sound similar then always go with the better homegrown app regardless of the aftermarket apps. I would expect that the streamer guts of the Mytek to be nothing more than the Conversdigital board used by PSA, Ayre and many others. One of the reasons that in the end I steered clear of the Innuos products until their own app is finished and market tested. 
OP here - I don’t have a use case for Roon. All the albums I want to listen to are on Tidal, which is my exclusive source.  The Elac’s are active but 100% analog when connected via xlr/rca. Not interested in a pre-amp or separate dac. No sub. Just want a single box for good sounding music.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Lumin D2. The app is much, MUCH better than mConnect.  Also, the Mytek sounds a bit harsh and thin to my ears. That configurable “M” diode those is so cool looking.

Might keep both.
One of my big fears is not that the DAC will get outdated, as everything after 2015 or so is really excellent, but that the software will.
I don't need more resolution, or higher bandwidth, but I am worried about the churn in streaming services.  Like, what happens when Tidal and Quboz vanishes, and there's what's next? Will my streamer be updated?

For those reasons, I finally, begrudgingly, kicking and screaming, ended up with a subscription software service.  I also feel I have some amount of power.  If Roon stops updating in a way I like, I stop paying for it.
As long as Lumin exists in the market then Peter and his team will continue to update the software and be available to assist with questions on multiple forums.  Since their parent company is a big player in the digital tv market in the Far East they are not going anywhere. Of the choices you have on hand the D2 is where I would put my money. The D2 is in fact a second generation device so not really dated. 
@jackd good points, that helps with the confidence.  I just don’t want to get stuck with a hunk of metal next year that’s laggy or no longer supported.  
@erik_squires the Empire is baller. I would never personally spend that much money on something like a streamer/dac/pre, diminishing returns.  In my opinion, that money is better spend on speakers and amps.  My perspective as a musician who owns all the best guitars, tube amps, drums kits, and studio recording equipment. You can chase and chase but 2.0 can only sound so good..
Ok fellow audio friends, I have made a very non-scientific determination (because who cares about measurements that are beyond humans perception?): The Lumin D2 is light years better than the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge. This is after about 3 hours with each unit. 
The D2 makes the music I’m listening to sound like actual music. I can hear the bass, the hi-hats don’t singe the ear drums, and the mids are just pronounced enough to cut through the mix. 
Describing the Mytek is tough. I will defer to my initial impression, Harsh and Thin. If that’s what you’re into then it’s the right streamer for you. I wanted to like this unit a lot more, especially because it looks amazing and was expensive. Combined with the absolutely awful mConnect app, crap manual and website, and constant need to get up and switch between MqA on/off, I would say this is ok at $1200.  
Hello OP,

Are you using the Mytek as a Pre?  If so, yes.  As a DAC however it sounds very good for me.

Perhaps after my next purchases I'll think about auditoinong the Lumin though.
Yeah, I do not understand why, none of the usual math about impedance maatching, blah blah explains it, but the Mytek is not a very good pre.
It IS a very good DAC.
The D2 will sound better with age, just leave it streaming music for a few weeks.
It also has a small screen as the info is on the control app, it also has an option to turn if off.
Id separate the streamer from the DAC if it was me. 

I'd go for the lumin u1 mini + denafrips ares/pontus

or 

sonore opticalrendu/ultrarendu + denafrips ares/pontus

note: this is based on my research only as i'm also looking for a good streamer/dac
@helloitsben, re: Roon, it runs on top of Tidal. I am a longtime Tidal user and still love the service. But run Roon on top of it and you’ll rarely ever find a need to use the Tidal app again. 
I use a LUMIN U2 mini as a streamer and a Brooklyn DAC+ as my pre and it’s an excellent combo. Separating the streamer from the DAC gives you more options in the long run. 
If you are leaning towards Lumin, I should probably share my less than stellar experience with their app.
Almost every time I use it, it will back out of Tidal, or the Lumin app will crash altogether. Yessss, it’s updated, unplugged/rebooted (network & streamer), hard wired connection, new switch, router, NAS, modem, Supra Ethernet cable blah blah. No change. I have Bluesound equipment in another system (on the same network) with absolutely zero problems- even when I use Tidal through their app. Opinions may differ, but for me, Bluesound’s app is where it’s at! Reliable and easy to see info with an intuitive user interface. Lumin’s app is nowhere near as reliable as or intuitive as Bluesound’s app (for me). I’ve tried different, older iPads, newer iPads, iPhone 6, new iPhone12pro: nothing has made a difference. Lumin app does not work well with Tidal (for me). I went so far as to purchase a 2nd Lumin streamer to see if that was the problem. No change. Im not a horizontal-scrollin’ Roon fan at all, but I might be soon. I’ve just about had it with the slow, laggy and crash-prone Lumin app. 
YRMV
I have used a LUMIN D1 for 5 years - it ran flawlessly - it uses the Wolfson DAC / got constant updates on the software  on the internet from LUMIN- when MQA came out my D1 could fully unfold the files at no extra cost - definitely heard an improvement in my sound. I stream Tidal HiFi .  I sold the D1 5 months ago and now I run the LUMIN T2 in my main system / it runs a Sabre DAC - bigger sound stage and more detail than my D1. I just added a LUMIN D2 for my second system in the Mancave - love the LUMIN D2 - the Wolfson DAC has a warmer sound - vocals are great with the D2. Build quality on LUMIN streamer / DACs is great - software support is great - both the T2 and D2 are improving in sound as they break in.
just my 2 cents - Happy Listening!
Lumin D2 was a disaster for me. Played Tunein but not Tidal. Would play a song for 2 minutes then have dropouts with either WiFi or ethernet. No  support from Lumin from either online or phone. Other streamers worked fine and in short order. Sent the damn thing back. 
I would not separate the dac from the streamer because of several reasons.  First, internet music nowadays are streamed in much higher bit rate with a lot of information and it's up to the receiving end i.e the dac to be able to process that.  Having all in one streaming DAC would eliminate the need for possible noise in the transmission via the cable.  Yes, the signal is digital but both ends will have to do extra processing of the music stream rather than doing 1x.  Second, the best cable is the shortest cable so doing this, you achieve avoiding signal integrity issues between your dac and streamer.  Processing streaming data from network to music format is done once.  Network is one of the most realizable transmission of signal because it has data and security error handling built in the protocol.  Third, you might save money on having to buy two units along with interconnects.   The PS DSD DAC is probably one of the best DAC for the money to be able to accommodate all these while still provides the flexibility to be used as a pre-amp and standalone DAC. I was looking at the X1 streamer and I came across 1 person who had them both for comparison and yes, the X1 is tiny bit better but for 2x the price, new or used,  and most importantly, X1 can't be used as a standalone DAC.  X1 has the latest and the best processors (2) SABRE DACs that can process 32bit data stream so you're future proof but I haven't seen any streaming service that provides that 32bits content.  TIDAL is maxed out at 24bit for their MASTER subscription.
Another vote for Lumin.  I'm using their U1 Mini to my Ayre QB-9 and thrilled with the combo.
sacman
I would not separate the dac from the streamer ....  Having all in one streaming DAC would eliminate the need for possible noise in the transmission via the cable ... you might save money on having to buy two units along with interconnects ...
By that reasoning, we'd all buy receivers instead of separate components, especially because the risk of noise in an analog interconnection is real, whereas in a digital connection not so much. If you're into audio for the long haul, there are obvious advantages to buying separates, including being able to take advantage of advancing technology without making a wholesale change.
cleed, you're right to a certain extend.  If receiver can be build to handle the high current and maximum peak power from separate amps then it's actually better.  The advantage of advance technology occurs everywhere but in this particular example, where signals are passed between difference processors, the less travel the better for the signal integrity.

sacman1
If receiver can be build to handle the high current and maximum peak power from separate amps then it’s actually better.
Don’t be silly. By way of example, there’s no receiver made with a phono stage that can equal an ARC Ref2 or Ref3 phono. It simply isn’t practical to pack it all in one box. Do you want to have to upgrade an entire receiver just to take advantage of an improved DAC? And if you do, what happens if you find the amp in your new receiver isn’t quite as good as the amp in the old one? You’ll just end up chasing your tail.

Don’t get me wrong - I have no issue with people buying receivers, or all-in-one systems, or streamers with built-in DACs. But to claim such an arrangement is superior to well chosen separates doesn’t make sense. And you r-e-a-l-l-y have some problems if you can’t connect digital components while preserving "signal integrity" at the same time.
I've tried both, but always go back to the Apple TV 4k. Not a popular choice in this world, but I enjoy the UI, the experience, the price, and the audio quality. No other service (I've tried them) beats the experience.  I have a medium priced system, around 10k. Rogue 100 amp, Magenpan 1.7i, Freya + preamp, so that could help. the only trick is to buy a splitter to separate audio and video, and with a cheap monitor you have an amazing experience. 
I with Joms
I have a bluesound node 2 going into a Denafrips Ares II
The blusos with Tidal works great and the sound from the Ares II is simply amazing. The detail, space and warmth is what I love, I listen to hours of Tidal streaming, usually controlled from my iphone, but easily control from my mac mini as well.

Rest of the system is my very old (bought in 1986) Quad 44/Quad 405 (upgraded PSU 2 years ago, and some upgraded components in the preamp (dada)) with B&W CM6S2 speakers.For Vinyl I have an Old Oracle Alexandria II using a Parasound Zphono into the Quad 44 (Quad phono stage is not great)
my phono, analog and digital coax interconnects are from Marc Stager (Stager sound systems), these are Silver Solid interconnects and have made a nice difference to my system as well.
Sorry but it has to be said:  Do you people even read the initial post? You guys are going on an on about something completely unrelated to my OP. 
You appear to be questioning your system (which you have already bought), so we are giving you alternative suggestions for 2021 :)

Maybe we don;t understand your question: "if they are good buys", if you have already bought them and don't appear to be happy.