Is the color in the amp , the preamp, the souce?

I'm sure I have seen this discussed at different points in time, but seeing that I just bought a new for me 5 channel ATI 1505, it got me wondering again, especially when I read this can be a "Cool" sounding amp.

Sorry in advance if I am ignorant on this subject, I am trying to learn. If I don't ask, how will I know???

My interpretation was that power amps were supposed to simply amplify the sound, with the better amps having lower distortion and higher actual power. I also understood the more neutral the amp the better. Now I realize tube amps are a different animal altogether, so my focus is on solid state only here.

Would it not be preferable to add any coloration (if one so chooses), warm, cool, what have you via the source and/or the preamp? This being said, and if true... what makes say a Bryston, Krell, Mac, or any multitude of expensive amps better, all things being equal? Let's say all the amps we are considering all put the same #'s up, same wattage, same low distortion, and they all use a large torroidal transformer, so they all have plenty off juice. Would you get seriously different sound if all the other components were the same, and if so Why? Obviously differing the power changes things, but lets go hypothetical here for comparison sake.
I have a hard time understanding (all specifications being equal) how an amplifier can sound different. Isn't all the signal processing done in the pre, the source, or both?

Again, sorry for my ignorance. Sometimes a little knowledge is more dangerous than none :)
baxter178

Showing 2 responses by baxter178

I got to thinking, and I hope my last post didn't go off topic onto name plates. What I meant was that you guys had more than satisfactorily answered my question on coloration, and at the same time gave me a better overall view of using a brand name as a guide to getting better sound. Other peoples descriptions of perceived sound qualities will vary widely, and obviously a system as a whole will be of utmost importance. Thank you all again for the very in depth information and opinions.
Guys, I want to thank you all very much. I feel I've gleaned a bit of information from all of you. Some (OK, a LOT of) technical, and quite a bit of perceptive info, but all appreciated. It must be really nice to either work in an audio shop that sells quality gear, or have an excess of play money and time to try different pieces. Perhaps when I retire I can play more :)

This discussion helps me stop worrying about what the name on the case says, and use my ears as the real judge. I have been feeling like I'm sure a lot of people feel, that if you can just take that one step higher up the dollar ladder, you can achieve greater musical satisfaction. I see now this may or may not the case (based on far too many variables), and in fact something that may coat much less might in fact sound better to my own ears.

The one down side to all this information, is that it makes it almost impossible to get an answer as to which xyz is better. I guess the best one can do in this regard is to ask a question in poll form, then weed through and try the most popular first.

Anyways, thank you all for your thoughts and time. I will bookmark this, an refer to it anytime I get nametagitis again :)