Is the Basis 2001 a solid enough table to keep.

If I bought a Basis 2001 table only, could I make it a great turntable with the addition of a well thought out arm and cartridge combo? Or not try to re-invent the wheel (My first turntable in 20 plus years). Or should I try buying a complete setup i.e. Nottingham Space Deck w/space arm or VPI Classic?
Thanks, Greg
gandme
This is long ago but I have been sick. I still have the Basis but now have a highly modded LP12. I have the SME mount so no direct comparison is possible but I like the Linn better but I paid more for it and the Basis is still very good.
I ended up with a Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4 arm and a Lyra Delos cartridge...I could not be more pleased with the combo. I'm now buying lps and spending my time listening to music again. My dealings with A.J. at Basis and Bill at Audiofiel were very helpfull getting me on the right track in the old/new world of vinyl. I still listen to my old Sansui FM tuner...but not many CDs get played.
Old thread, but this past summer I also bought a Basis 2001. It came withe Rega 300 arm. I upgraded to a Vector IV and put a Benz LP-S cartridge on it. I really like this table and tonearm, especially good marriage with the Benz low output MC and the Herron VTPH-2. In addition, I consider AJ Conti and Keith Herron two of the industry's super heroes. They are artisan engineers who obsess the details and care more about delivering the very best product versus spending their time selling and marketing. I have a modest system, and each of them have gone out of their way to help me as I jumped back into analogue. Hard to put a price on that type of expertise.
I did buy a new Denon DL103 to establish a base to work off of. My table should be here in a couple weeks.
Thanks again to all!
Thank you all for the comments and suggestion. I probably should have used the word "good" instead of great when asking for a reasonably priced Cartridge.
I use a Audio Technica AT 33 EV, which I got for $400 and a Denon 304, which is now around $500. One of the on line reviewers uses the 33 along with a $5K Dynavector and fells there is not a significant difference.
I do not what to spend a great deal of $$$ on a cartridge. I know there are many great carts that do not dent the wallet so heavily.....so any suggestions would be helpful

Think about a Lyra Delos.
When it is too cheap. don't be fooled from 2. Hand offers (new 7000 $, now 1800...), most can't scratch that one.
Congratulations Gandme, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I started with a 1400 signature and upgraded to a 2200 a couple of years ago. I have listened to only a handful of CD's since. Great table, enjoy!
I just sent a check off for a used Basis 2001 Signature w/ Vecter 4 arm. I am very much looking forward to setting up a quality analog rig (beats my Kenwood KD-52F and $50 cart.)It has been a long time! I have a new Denon DL103 but depending on what I hear...I will go from there. I do not what to spend a great deal of $$$ on a cartridge. I know there are many great carts that do not dent the wallet so heavily.....so any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Greg
I own a Basis Debut (vacuum clamp) with a Vector 3 arm based on a recommendation from a friend who is an industry insider who has heard hundreds of home installations (he recommended the table and arm even though he actually represents competing products). The arm is NOT the easiest thing to adjust, but, once it is set up properly it really performs well. It is an arm that is recommended by manufacturer/distributors of cartridges that put a lot of vibrational energy into the body of the cartridge and demand that the arm dampen/drain that energy instead of reflecting that energy back into the cartridge (e.g., Lyra cartridges).

I have heard several Nottingham table/arm combinations in some very nice sounding systems, though I have not heard them in direct comparison with anything else. Set up right, with a good cartridge, these deliver good sound. My one concern is that for a period of time, my local dealer (a friend) experienced numerous motor failures. The US distributor was a bit slow to respond with replacements. This could have been a case of bad luck or a short-term problem (e.g., bad batch of parts). Also, this was something that happened about eight years ago.

Even Basis, which has a terrific reputation for high quality and durability, can suffer from parts problems from suppliers. I purchased their motor control unit form my Debut a few years ago. The first two units failed after a very short time. According to Basis, the manufacturer of a particular part had made unannounced changes that compromised the part's performance. He quickly re-engineered the the motor control/motor to cure the problem. I have not had any problems since then.

A friend owns a 2500 that had two arms on it -- a Vector 3 and a Graham Phantom. He used both an Transfiguration Orpheus and a Lyra Titan cartridge. For whatever reason (personal taste, system synergy, who knows?), he much preferred the Vector over the Phantom and preferred the Orpheus over the Lyra. On my own table, I currently use an Orpheus L (low output) cartridge. I also have a Lyra Titan (now quite old) that I think is a terrific cartridge too. Frankly, I cannot say which of the two I prefer.
The signature versions (2001) carry even tighter tolerances. The 2001 non-signature versions can be upgraded to signature status although it can get expensive to do this.

The 2200 is only available as a signature unit. There is no non-signature version of this table. It was introduced after the signature upgrades were done. if you are looking at that 2200, you should get it instead of the 2001. It will have the advantage of a bit more platter mass and the suspension is probably better in that it's the signature suspension and that table comes with one very good arm. The Vector IV, when mastered, is incredibly good and well behaved.

Dre
I have set my sights on a used Basis 2001 or 2200 with a Vector 4 tonearm. Still considering what cartridge to use with my Jazz collection (now and future). I still have questions...the difference between the 2001 & the 2001 Signature...2200 & the 2200 Signature. Anybody Know?
On the other side, when you want to be a real man who wants the daily fight for the last swing of the tone, you can choose a LP12 with Schroeder Arm and a Koetsu Cartridge. That is also a real interesting combination. :-)
Yes, I agree. I wouldn't buy one with the SME-type mount if I had any thought of upgrading to a Vector.
Dan_ed
I'm not sure it would be worth buying a Basis 2001 with the idea of switching tone arms from a SME mount to the Basis mount. My understanding is the table would have to be shipped to basis where an acrylic plug would be inserted then the plinth would be redrilled with the Vector mount.
Now if we were talking a 2800 Sig at a smoking price that would be a different story.
Basis- Get it - Set it- and forget about it!

Once set up, the Basis just does not need any tinkering with for that constant-optimum performance - It just does it all the time. Consistency-Reliability and Commitment (to perform)

I have got into analog since the last 6 months and my EMM Signature combo is gathering dust after getting my Basis. And not to forget most of all A J Conti's service and experience levels are hard to find.

Enjoy your Basis whichever and whenever you do get one.
Also A.J.Conti at Basis is one of the real good guys in Audio : very helpful and accessible to customers on top of being one of the best TT designers.
Greg,

I have not looked into it myself, but support from Nottingham here in the states is not exactly prolific. YMMV. I cannot speak to performance comparisons because I have only heard Not's a few times in dealer show rooms.

If the Basis table you are looking at with the 2.2 is not using the SME style mount it should be easy to replace the 2.2 later with an armboard change. The Vector is superior to the 2.2 on Basis tables so that could be an upgrade later. I will disagree a little with Syntax with regard to the Graham setup jig. It is pretty close but many find the alignment is not as good as what can be done with a good protractor. Again, YMMV.
The Basis Turntable can be upgraded to a very serious unit and the Graham drill is identical for the 2.0 series or the Phantom. The Graham Arms have a superior alignment system which makes the adjustment very simple. No matter what cartridge you choose, you are in very short time very close to the best adjustment.
Would you all choose a Basis 2001 over the Nottingham 294?
I am shopping on audiogon and narrowed my search to these tables. The Basis I can buy set up with a Graham 2.2. The Nottingham 294 w/12" ace space arm. Or I could buy the tables and match workable tone arms.
Thank you all for the great information I have received over several threads. I probably need to hold off at least 1 month ( or 1 C.C. billing cycle)to make a choice. I plan to live with that for several years.
I spent $130 on new records last weekend....
Any more suggestions or comments are welcomed.
Thanks,
Greg
I currently have a 2001 with Graham 2.2 Arm, it is a great table. It is sitting next to a VPI Classic [I am a VPI dealer]. Either competes with anything except the mega $ tables.
I originally owned a Basis 1400 with a Rega RB 300 tonearm, and I was very happy with that for a couple of years. (It was my re-entry back into the world of analog, after about 10-12 years.) However, I wanted to upgrade to something a bit more resolving as well as wanting to get a table with a suspension, as my little girl loves to dance to the music. So after a couple of years I did upgrade.

I currently use a Basis 2001 turntable, with a Vector M3 tone arm, (and a Dynavector XV-1S cartridge), and I am very happy with it. I have owned the table for about five years now. It is very resolving and has a very, very low noise floor. (And since it has a suspension, my little girl can dance as much as she likes, and I never have any problems.)

FYI: When I first bought this turntable, I could not afford a Vector tone arm, so I bought a lightly used Rega RB 900 tonearm to use as a stop gap measure until I could afford said Vector tone arm. (BTW, in case you don't know, you need to have AJ Conti install a sleeve onto the Rega arms as the standard hole in the plinth is a bit too large.) This original version of my 2001 table sounded very good, coming close to the current Vector's sound. (The Vector is just a bit more resolving and a bit more quiet than the Rega arm. I also like the arm lift better on the Vector as it drops more consistently than either of the Rega's I've owned.)

I have heard the Basis 2500, (with the Vector tone arm), and it is an improvement on the 2001, as it indeed has a bit more very low bass impact, as suggested by Dan_ed. It is not night and day better, but nonetheless it is better. When I get the opportunity, I would like to upgrade to the 2500, but until a good deal comes up, and I have the money, I will happily use my 2001.

I can recommend the Basis 2001 to anyone wanting to get to a mid-level table that one can happily live with for many years. My two cents worth anyway.
Yes, all of their tables, even the cheapest are built to very high standards (very close tolerance machining) and will perform well for a long time. The 2001 model has a top quality bearing and motor, which are very important to achieving quiet operation.

If you are looking at a used table, consider buying a new belt. Belts do wear out, and the current model belt is ground to very tight tolerances and performs much better than the older belts.

The Vector arm would be the logical choice for this table, but even a cheaper arm, like the Rega RB 300, should work well. This table does not have a separate armboard, so, once a hole is drilled for the arm, you may be limited in terms of future upgrade of tonearms, so this should be factored into your choice. It might pay to call A.J. Conti at Basis to discuss arm options.
Same motor as the top of the line Basis tables. A Vector would be the best arm for that table. I owned an older model 2001 for a couple of years and it was a solid performer. As you move up the line into the thicker, heavier platters the bass impact improves.
Some years ago I did listen to a comparison with that Table and a rewired Rega RB300 Arm, it was much better (tonality, detail, simply more real..) than well known combinations 5x more expensive. But it doesn't look that "important", it has the brain inside. I think you can upgrade it with Suspension and so on.
Have you thought about a complete Basis setup with their Vector arm? Their TT's are designed to be easily upgradeable. Check out their website - basis audio dot com.