Is sound quality effected by twist connecting 2 speaker wires together for extra length?

Hi all,

I have been using a switch (Niles ABS-1) so I can use the same speakers to play music from different sources: my turn table via my nice equipment (Cary AE-3 tube pre-->McIntosh 2125 amp) and then lesser important things like television/Xbox powered by a Sony receiver. This setup has worked well allowing me to use the same set of speakers without having to physically move speaker wires around when I am listening from different sources.

However, at this point the turntable audio quality is all that matters, so I was thinking I would take the Speaker switch out of the equation since I figure it could possibly degrade/modify the signal and therefore the quality of the acoustics I hear (correct me if I’m wrong?)

Question:
with that said I cut my quad 12 gauge wires to match the length of the setup using the switch, so without it the wires from the speakers are about 2 feet short of the length needed to reach the McIntosh Amp. Is there any reason i should avoid just twisting another wire on (same kind) to the end of the speaker wire so it’s long enough to reach the amp?

I dont have any single pieces of cables long enough, but I have some extra 2’ pieces I could use to extend. I really don’t want to spend $$ unless it’s essential.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
hockey4496

Showing 2 responses by hockey4496

Someone must have some knowledge about the positive/negative effects of joining 2 short speaker wires together to act as 1 longer cable...

thanks in advance for any advice! :)
Thanks for chiming in, good info! 

How owe about the switch in that case? Should I bother removing it? Or would you say the switch definitely could effect the sound and should be removed?