Is Preamp overkill for me?

I'm a single-source guy - SACD Player. Current setup runs source to integrated but, am considering upgrading to separates (preamp/amp). Regarding preamp, I'm thinking I really just need something to control the volume. I don't need/want balance or tone controls and don't need to switch sources. I don't mind spending money ($2k) on a preamp but would rather put that money towards quality than features I don't need/want. Any thoughts/suggestions?
pawlowski6132

Showing 1 response by 213cobra

Get a Django transformer volume control. There are two versions, one based on amorphous core transformers and one based on Stevens & Billington transformers. There's a listing here. I have no association with the sellers. But I own one. It is the most surprising piece of audio equipment I've encountered in 30 years of audiophilia. It's hard to go back to ANY active preamp once you've spent time with one of these and after the transformers are run-in. It also includes a +6db gain option if your source output is a little low for the input sensitivity of your power amp. It works especially well with high input impedance tube amps but for all the worrying about lower input impedance sand amps, I've found it to work great there too.

The Django TVC will give you better low level dynamics and detail retrieval than directly driving you power amp with a source.

Phil