Is Plinius 9200 bright sounding?

In a couple of reviews of the Plinius 9200 - What HiFi and TAS - the authors seemed to imply that this amp is bright sounding, but they don't come right out and say it. I am interested in purchasing one of these amps, but since I don't have a local dealer, I can’t audition first.

So, what say you Plinius 9200 owners? Does this amp sound bright in your system?

My speakers are Martin Logan Vantage and CD player is Esoteric X-03SE.

Bob R.
rmrobinson1957

Showing 1 response by rpfef

I used a Plinius P-8 amp for a while driving Shahinian Hawks in a well-damped 2000 cubic foot room. The P-8 is the amp section of the 8200 and is, according to the distributor, virtually identicalto what they are now using tin the 9200. I listen mostly to large scale Euro-classical orchestral stuff. The P-8, and the SA-100MkIII I now have, both seem to expose wll the brightness present on your source material. Mellow cd's and lp's can sound beautifully full and powerful. But, anything less than smooth on top will sound almost (to me) unbearably bright, especially on violins and trumpets. I noticed this the very first time I hooked up the P-8 and still notice it, to my chagrin, with the more expensive and sophisticated SA100. If you have speakers that are trelatively flat on top, this could be a problem. It could be that the Plinius is a very accurate reproducer and you get out what you put in. It could also be that the Plinius is best matched with speakers that are a bit rolled off in the treble.
Otherwise, these struck me as very fine amps.