Is no preamp the best preamp of all?

As an experiment I hooked up my OPPO BDP-95 (which has a volume control) directly to my amp. I was very pleasantly surprised to hear a significant improvement in clarity and sound quality. Typically I have the analog outputs on the OPPO running through my preamp in Analog Direct. I have heard that the circuitry within preamps can cause cross-talk in the analog signal, deteriorating the quality of the signal. So, would having no preamp (and therefore no other circuits to interfere with the signal) be better than an expensive analog or digital preamp running in Analog Direct? I am not really interested in Room Correction or DSP of any kind. I was considering purchasing a Bel Canto PRe6 (which I've read is excellent for multichannel analog), but would it be better to just have the OPPO running directly to the power amp?
128x128cdj123

Showing 1 response by cdj123

I am currently running an Anthem AVM 30 to an Anthem Statement P5 to Eidolon Visions. I was going to try some Harrison Labs Attenuators (so I wouldn't destroy my speakers if I messed up) to see if they negatively affected the sound. I am running a 5.1 (with a Paradigm Sub 1) system, but I primarily use it for 2 channel listening. Would I be better off with a 2 channel analog preamp and a digital processor, a 5 channel analog preamp, going direct to the power amp with passive attenuators and crossovers, or a high end processor? Based on your recommendation, what specific brands/models would you recommend?