Is new better than old?

I have been looking at upgrading my speakers. I have a budget of around $1,200. There is a plethora of speakers on A’gon and C’list in that range. I did a search of Full Speakers priced between $900 and $1,300 and got a list of over 100 really nice (or not) speakers.

My question is, are the newer speakers in this price range better than the older speakers in this range? Are the newer models with the latest and greatest technology, research and design likely to sound better that a speaker that is 6 or 8 to 12 years old, but when new was twice the price (or more)?

A good example is the 13 year old Vandersteen 3A’s vs two year old Paradigm Studio 60 v4’s. Both of these are around $1,000.

Another example is the Von Schweikert Gen: II at $1,099 vs new ERA D14 at $1,100 (seller says these are half price).

I may not be comparing apples to apples above, but I think you get my point. Is a speaker that cost $4,000 but is 10 – 12 years old better than a two year old speaker that maybe sold for $2,000 when new?

Thanks
ben77059
Ben, there's no rule of thumb but if you stretch the budge (sic) you'll be glad you did years later when you're still enjoying your speakers. Personally, I've found that when I
make compromises, price over performance, the upgrade bug hits faster and harder. Also, quality components have a much
higher resale value. So, think about the heritage of the line
you buy. Vintage products are sometimes expensive because they
have become collectibles among audiophiles due to their reputation for quality.
Bought a pair of 5 year old VMPS speakers for 40% of their list price from a Goner and they are the best sounding speaker I've heard in a stereo system. I probably could not have touched this level of sound in a new speaker anywhere close to the price. It's always a crapshoot buying sight or sound unseen. But generally, you can turn around and sell it without losing money overall most of the time if it didn't suit your tastes or system. That represented my second try at buying without hearing. The first time I didn't like what I thought I would--sold it and the new buyer did, no money lost and everyone's happy. By the way, I was so impressed with VMPS speakers that I asked the creator, Brian Cheney, if he needed a demonstrator, which I now am. On my opinion, just remember what happened first--I loved the sound of that speaker. After a year of ownership, I still love that speaker. Buying used allows you to sometimes get really lucky and achieve a sound level you wouldn't have been able to get otherwise because new just costs too much for the same sound. Do your reading on speakers you're interested in if you can't hear them in your own system. Good luck, Bob
New speakers are often better. The best, newest drivers are a LOT better than those from even ten years ago. Design software has come a long way too. The problem us audiophiles have is that for a lot of speaker manufacturers the design target has become home theater, not acoustic music. Nonetheless, speaker technology has progressed a lot in the past decade.

Of course, buying used rather than new allows you to get perhaps twice the speaker for your money, assuming you're willing to take the risk associated with used equipment. It is an interesting question... which is a better value for $3500, a 7-year-old speaker that retailed for $7000-8000 when it was new, or a new one currently retailing for $3500?
This is a darn good question. I have all new(er) power equipment along with old(er) Infinity Rennaisaince 90 speakers. Built in the early to mid 90's I believe. After listening to the soundtrack from the first "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie last night I was thinking how could I ever desire another pair of speakers. They are that good.
I would like to compare them to Eaggleson Andras just for the heck of it. But they would have to be really good to make me want to change. BTW the Infinitys cost me $1500 used about eight years ago.
Good luck, John
Tony, The problem with stretching the budget is no matter what the budget is, there is always a little bit better for just a little bit more. Even at $10,000 there is just a little bit better speaker for $10,500.

Irv, yep, that was my question too. I am sure there are some new speakers at $3,500 that will blow away a 10 yo speakers that cost $8,000 new, and there are some used speakers selling for $1,500 that will blow away new $3,500 speakers. You just have to find the right ones.

As Dork mention, buying used is a good way to try without losing too much if you have to resell. I bought some Monitor Audio Silver RS6's a couple of years and liked them until I got a great deal on a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's. The digm's didn't have the low end the MA's had but they were so much cleaner. IMO, there was no comparison. I sold the MA's for about what I paid for them.

Now I am looking for something to replace the Studio 20's.