Is My Onkyo Receiver's Tuner Dead or Just Playing Posum?

Tried using the AM/FM tuner in my Onkyo TX-SR876 home theater receiver but getting no sound. I called Onkyo tech support but the best they could tell me is: "Try a different antenna". This tuner has worked in the past (Las Vegas) but I had a clean line-of-sight to Black Mountain broadcasting antennas. I know this is a shot in the dark but maybe an Onkyo wizard will read and suggest a fix? Can't believe the tuner would just konk out...
128x128dweller

Showing 1 response by jwatkins80504

I lost the AM/FM tuner in my Integra DTR9.9 (vintage 2008) a long time ago. It just stopped working one day. Totally silent. So dweller, I don't think you're crazy. I also live in Las Vegas (not that it matters to this discussion). I was using the XM mini-tuner functionality on the DTR9.9 and it was flaky as well. I would lose the option to select the XM tuner from time to time and I would have to do a full reset on the receiver to get it back.I bought a used Integra TUN3.7 standalone XM/AM/FM tuner. The XM worked fine on this unit. But the FM tuner would flake out after it warmed up for about 20 minutes. It would switch in and out of HD radio mode and make a lot of noise making it un-listenable.Finally I bought a Sangen HDT-20 for AM/FM listening and it is working well with a dipole antenna stuck to the wall of my living room.