Is my DAC my weakest link?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this sort of thing. I recently bought the following system used:

Thiel CS2
Rotel RC-1070
Audionics BK-ST 140 (BT-2)
NAD 5000
Music Player II DAC

It sounds great and I am very happy with it. I am wondering, though, whether the Music Player II might be outdated. I know everything is old (hopefully some of it in a classic sense), but I have been wondering whether more recent technology might have greatly improved DACs. Would it be worth it to invest in a more recent DAC, and if so, what price point would be roughly commensurate with the system? (i.e. no need to improve the DAC beyond the capability of everything else).

I stream Tidal HiFi through Audirvarna Plus to the DAC.

Thank you for your insights!
ryunosuke13

Showing 2 responses by astewart8944

I recommend the Chord Mojo. There is one currently listed for less than $400 on Agon. It's not mine. I use the Mojo as a headphone DAC when traveling. I know that others on this site use the Mojo as the primary DAC in their home systems.   
+1 @erik_squires on the Furman recommendation for your system. A power conditioner basically does what it sounds like it does. It makes sure the power your system sees is, in easy terms, "clean and steady." The electricity coming into your house has audible noise in it and it doesn't always (or ever) come through the lines in a uniform, steady flow--electricity surges--and a power conditioner helps harness this attribute and provide your equipment with a steady diet of cleaner and steadier power. I've oversimplified but hopefully the explanation helps you. BTW there are many folks on this site who don't use any power conditioning because they do not think it adds significant value. I have run previous systems without power conditioning. However, I am now a strong proponent of using power conditioning. FWIW the Chord Mojo will probably provide you a more discernible audible improvement in your sound than an entry level Furman. But that doesn't mean the Furman isn't a good idea for you.