Is it worth spending $10k on CD-only player today?

I have been waiting for the new Spectral CD player...now scheduled to be released early next year. It's supposed to be great...rest of system is Spectral. But now I'm wondering - should I look at a multi-player (SACD, etc) unit? I dont want to spend all this money on an obsolete product, and I'm unlikely to buy anything new after this for quite a few years. Thanks for feedback.
kocsis

Showing 1 response by robm321

Well I asked that same question about 4 years ago and decided with some advice from my dealer to go with CD only.

Here it is 4 years later and SACD is still struggling to get shelf space. There is still no certainty about it. There are still few titles outside of classical ones that I'd even be interested in listening to and most of those are on LP.

Where is the marketing for SACD. I hear nothing about it. I don't see any push by Sony to market or hype it up. Most of my non-audiophile friends have never heard of it. All this doesn't give me confidence in its future. Not to mention that a newer, better format may be in the works before SACD ever gains ground on redbook.

I personaly would put the money into a good TT. But I would feel confident that CD will be around for a long time as well.

IMHO

Rob