Is it true that a digital cable has to acclimate to your system?

Just bought a Kimber Orchid AES/EBU cable and it doesn't sound good.  The seller advised me that a certain synergy won't happen until the cable gets used to the other components in your system.  

I am using a Bel Canto CD-2 for a transport and a Bryston BDA-2 for a dac.  The Audioquest Cinammon AES/EBU cable I have sounds much better.

thanks for any wisdom on this.
Ted.
lovepianos
I won't speak for all users in all systems but in my system, a cable either sounds good at first and might get better or it sounds bad and stays bad.   If that happened to me in my system, I would return it.
My experience with many many AES/EBU cables is just like @spatialking -- first impressions are usually directionally correct, improvement is steady after that but usually does not change the fundamental character of a cable -- and it is certainly nothing to do with "getting used to the other cables in the system"!

If I was you I'd trade up in the AQ line as you like the sound of their base cable -- the Wild AES/EBU is probably the sweet spot on the line for performance vs price -- I've never been convinced about the WEL

The other line I'd recommend is of course Transparent, again a consistent family sound (very warm and organic) that only improves as you move up the line
The explanation is nonsense, however shipping any electronic equipment causes static charge to build-up in the dielectrics.  It takes about 3 days for this to dissipate.  Also, the new connections probably have to adjust at the metal-metal boundaries.  It should sound better after 3 days of break-in.

Steve N.
Empirical Audioi