is it possible to make digital audio sound like vintage vinyl

sam here with another question. is it possible to make digital audio sound like vintage vinyl ? i realize i'm gonna get ripped a new a-hole however this is not a joke question. honest answers please i can take the heat

as crazy as it sounds it seams perfectly logical to me. now here is what i did using my 2013 dell pc windows 7 32bit.

using foobar 2000 with the convolver dsp filter i made an impulse file consisting of a 1 second wave file extracted at 32 / 88 

from the intro to pink floyds us and them on 1st press vintage vinyl u.k harvest label. just the surface noise before the music 

starts and applied the impulse file to a digital album to see if the digital album now sounds like vintage vinyl.here's the results

not sure if i made the digital audio sound worse or really what i achieved ? feedback will help me decide if i should

abandoned this pipe dream and move on. source is digital download flac 16/44 same source for both before/after samples.

audio sample 1: http://pc.cd/GB3

audio sample 2 (impulse applied) http://pc.cd/7eA

audio sample 3: http://pc.cd/7DP7

audio sample 4 (impulse applied) http://pc.cd/bw2

audio sample 5: http://pc.cd/3etrtalK

audio sample 6 (impulse applied) http://pc.cd/lTf7
guitarsam

Showing 12 responses by heaudio123

Digitize a turntable with a good A/D and play it back with a good DAC. Will you be able to tell the difference? 

I think you can but need to address crosstalk and other artifacts too.
My ad hoc tests with audiophiles says otherwise, however, you start from 2 false premises. 1) that a turntable has not already thrown away information. It has thrown away a ton of information.  2) That given a turntable has already thrown away a ton of information and the ear/brain has some limits i.e. bandwidth, can a digitized system collect all the usable information on a vinyl system such that the output is indistinguishable from the input. You haven't presented an argument that that is not true.

Indistinguishably? No

Adequately? Possibly

When you digitize a file you select some of the information to keep and some to discard.

I think that you feel this way validates the importance of this thread. Can you recreate this in digital, at least for those that prefer this presentation.

but it's easy to find a digital file and vinyl pressing from the same tape master, and when you do, the vinyl will sound better than the digital file almost 100% of the time.

One problem is see in your comparison Mike, is you have chosen a DAC that euphonically matches what you prefer in vinyl. For you, that is the best sound possible, but to make the most accurate comparison of digitized and played back vinyl, a DAC that is as analytical as possible would be the most faithful. Your DAC may be implementing "tricks" that create a very pleasing audio result, especially for those that prefer vinyl. However if you record vinyl and play is back on that DAC, the result is likely not as technically accurate as possible.
He made the post 36 hours ago. I don't know his timeline. Maybe he has a life?
I am still going to go with "far exceeds". Note I used hi-res digital as my comparison point:
  • 24/192 sampled is capable of 80KHz bandwidth at 3db. Practically no one is going beyond 40Khz.
  • While LPs "may" have bandwidth out to 40Khz, the best cartridges are down what 30? 40db?  Some of the best "rated" cartridges are down that much at 30KHz (or less)
  • Those 1960's LPs, what was the bandwidth of the tape machines feeding them at 40KHz. Combine that with cartridge frequency response.
  • That high frequency response also comes about via RIAA equalization, i.e. pre-emphasis on high frequencies
  • There is, to my knowledge, not one valid example of human's being able to perceive in any form, frequencies over about 22-24Khz. Those frequencies can cause subharmonic distortion of speakers though. That 22-24Khz is for young ears too.
  • While QRP is impressive, it's still not remotely in the range of 24/192, especially if you rolled off the bandwidth of 24/192 to match vinyl.

That RIAA equalization is of course akin to "compression", akin to basic Dolby noise reduction.

As has been pointed out, digital copies of vinyl can be nearly indistinguishable if not indistinguishable from the direct vinyl output. I don't think anyone would say vinyl sounds like digital though, not even if the mastering is exactly the same.

The big variable is crosstalk, and even that varies considerably from system to system and out of phase crosstalk can do some interesting things acoustically.

I personally don't think the OP is on the right track for recreating vinyl from digital. My main impression of the applied filter the op uses is reverb, which will give a more 3 dimensional feel to the music, a not uncommon mixing and mastering technique. However, I don't think the exercise of recreating vinyl from digital is unwarranted. One can consider something like crosstalk a format limitation, but one could also consider it a mathematical function that may be beneficial.
I respect his personal opinion, but as pointed out, we don't know if the MSB DAC is programmed to be technically accurate or true to the signal. I remember some tests of a very high end MSB that showed significant IM distortion, not something one would expect with the figures they were presenting. I am not knocking its sonics, just pointing out incongruence. If it is tuned sonically, not for technical accuracy, then it will color, however minimally, whatever goes through it.

I would give credence to Mike Lavigne’s listening experience. Having only digital, I liked that he once said his new digital setup is "staring vinyl in the face". He may find digital to be really good, but when he goes on to say that, after a high level of commitment in his system to both formats, vinyl still cannot be equaled, his findings deserve respect.

Keep at it! If nothing else, it is a lot of fun, and if you come up with a formula that improves your listening enjoyment, then you have accomplished something and perhaps others will enjoy it as well.

guitarsam OP29 posts05-19-2020 6:52pmsam here when i made this post i was referring to a very specific sound that vinyl creates and i don’t care what kind of turntable setup you have there is an indefinable sound and that’s what i was trying to create. no i don’t think i’m there yet however i will keep trying and posting my before/after results to get feedback from the experts. i suppose if i was less nieve i would just accept the facts and move on however i can’t help but believe i will one day hit on the magic combination friends.

rbstehno, but this is not a thread of which is better, it is a thread about achieving a vinyl "like" sound which the op has a personal preference for, and which many have a personal preference for. There may even be some poorly understood underlying technical issues why vinyl (likely the channel separation issue) is more pleasing to some.
Instruments sound, in my honest opinion, much more "real" on a well recorded digital. You may not like it, but it is more "real".

tony195417 posts05-22-2020 10:24amIt seems to me that the goal isn't to make digital sound like vinyl.The goal is to make digital sound like real instruments and human voices.

guitarsam, if I could make a suggestion. Perhaps you could share your favourite genres of music with mikelavigne and he could suggest some modern pressing, based on his significant experience, that are mastered from high-res digital or all analog paths.  I am sure many others could do the same.