Is It Possible?

Help!!!

Is it possible for a pair of Quad63 sounds better than a pair of Focal Utopia Scala I?  I am was using the Scala in my system and was very happy with the overall result, except for an occasionally bright sound on certain recordings.  I recently bought a pair of non-working Quad63 at a garage sale for $250, had them serviced for about $650.  I was going to use the quad in my office for background music, but I decided to have a A/B test against my beloved Scala.  I almost fell of my chair when heard what came out of the Quad. The vocals and the instruments just came alive, especially the female's voice.  The only advantage I gave to the Scala was the soundstage, which is wider and a little deeper than the Quad.  How can this be?  What am I doing wrong with the Scala?  How can a pair of $900 speakers sounds much better, in my opinion, than a pair of speakers that cost me almost $25,000?

myaudio168

Showing 6 responses by myaudio168

My friend drop them off for me in Sacramento.  Don't get me wrong, I still like the Focal, but just not as much. 
Thanks for the suggestion shadorni.  I don't know much about ATC, but I'll definitely check them out when I get a chance.   
I love the sound of the Quad,  just not the look.  Don't get me wrong,  the Scala performs very well on its own,  I am just floored how well the 63s does against it.  I'm glad I was able to picked them up for so cheap.  Now I can enjoy both of them. 
Ron, 
I think this guy only specializes in Quad.  Like I said,  my friend drop them off for me.  I'll check to see if I can get the phone number for you. 
Glupson,

Thanks for the advice.  I do plan to keep both since they both have their unique sound, I don't mind switching back and forth once in awhile.  They both make music comes alive.   
Jonh1,

You're right.  The higher the volume,  the better the Focal sounds compares to the Quad.  I'm using Synergistic CTS SC now which seems to be good for fit for both speakers.