Is it ok to not gush over Vanessa Fernadez?...one listener's perspective.

I bit. I purchased the first lp. I've owned it for over a year, played it completely through one time. I have played a couple of sides a couple more times. My point is, it just doesn't move me. Yes, she has talent. Yes, the production is great. Yes, we are suppose to fall in line, etc....

The lp has excellent SQ, so why doesn't it move me enough to listen more? Could it be that this has been done to death? Holly Cole, Jacintha etc... I listed those purely for examples, not to disparage in any way.

To me, just my own opinion, this particular artist seems to exist by the way of being sold to the audiophile community, solely for profit. American Idol comes to mind. IMO, this seems to be a manufactured product, made purposefully for the audiophile community.

I'm just expressing my opinion. I wanted others to have their opportunity. Not a debate just a reason for being.

Happy Listening!
128x128slaw
I think expectations got the better of me initially cause I'm listening now and I like it. Glad I put it on again and didn't sell it. No it's not a record for the ages but shite turn it up and it works. I mean it's acoustic Led Zepplin, on its own merit it's really damn good. 

I like a few cuts particularly "Hard Times" and the Bill Withers cover "Use Me". I don’t think she’s exceptionally talented. But when I want to hear the shear sonic quality of my system, I will throw her stuff on.

As others have said, exceptionally well recorded and the musicians are top notch via Leland Sklar and Tim Pierce. I’m not sure who the drummer is which is funny because I am a drummer.

And yes, it is perfectly acceptable to not "gush" over her!

My original post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I realize the aspect of this recording being a demo disc. It’s just that "we’ve seen this movie before". Right? I want something original. Don’t you? If I want to hear a great cover of "Use Me", I'll put on Mick Jagger's "Wandering Spirit", which is a very underrated lp!

Well we had it in 2014 (the exact same year as VF) by way of Blake Mills "Heigh Ho". No one reviewed it in my universe. It is a unique recording. It has great musicians. But overall it is an excellent recording that, for some reason....maybe because Blake wasn’t a female, covering previously released songs that were marketed to a specific audience! Hel-oow! Wake up people! By the way, Jim Keltner is the drummer here. This recording will actually require greater "end-user" system set-up than the VF.

There are more musicians out there if we try to find them!

Frankly, I’d rather hear the original. (Mick’s version is obviously out of great respect) and his decades of history. The VF version is out of necessity. (A BIG DIFFERENCE)! The seemingly necessity of the industry insiders to invent a "new" way to hear something that really cannot be improved upon is, IMO, a disservice to all!

I believe it is a way to sell product. The product is usually a re-invention of the past. (Look at VPI).

BTW, I don’t think Harry buys his lps, much like Michael Fremer... something to think about?

If I did not have to actually buy these expensive lps, and, having said this, there is no personal consequence, I would have little initiative to "bite the hands that feed me"? Right?

To bring up a sore subject... look at what I disclosed. That VPI has been, for years, selling their product, under false pretense. Their S2P distance is off by 2mm. Look at Bill Stevenson’s response on the VPI 3d, 2nd pivot thread....

I hope you all are like me, having faith in a certain manufacturer, (buying in to their, "made in America" speill and the press to provide us with a truthful perspective/review of a product. Well, it seems that for years, by the aforementioned thread, that VPI has deceived their customers and really makes no common sense for them to be (silent) anymore.

This, I’m sure, was noticed by the well respected reviewers such as Michael Fremer, but was not made public. Why? Well, I could elaborate, but I’d rather them tell their readers why on their own terms.