is interconnect more important than speaker cable

Hi,

I have often heard from audiophiles and dealers that you spend more money on your interconnects than your speaker cables because they are more important for your system.

Does anyone venture to guess why people say that?

I still have my Nordost Red Dawn Speaker cables but have my final pieces for the rest of my system so its time for me to possibly upgrade it but not sure if worthwhile. I am very happy with system and would prefer of course to avoid upgrading the speaker cable to Nordost Valhalla to match my xlr interconnect.

Present system

Wilson Watt Puppy 7
Rowland 302 amp
Emmlabs DCC2 (dac/preamp) kimber kable power supply
Emmlabs CDSD (transport.....using emmlabs optic cable to connect to dcc2)...kimber kable power supply
Nordost Valhalla to connect amp to preamp
Nordost Red Dawn Speaker Cables
128x128karmapolice

Showing 1 response by bignerd100

If you would like to audition new cables ask your local dealer if he has a couple pair you can borrow over a long weekend. If he has specific recomendations that inch up into the multiple-thousands-of-dollars range also ask to demo them. Most manufacturers have demo programs (different payment terms) for dealers that allow the customer about two or three weeks demo with high-end cables that the store is not neccesarily ready to invest in.

If you don't see a marked difference in sound quality simply don't buy new cables. Go buy some software.

Keep in mind that cables (even expensive, thick, nice-looking cables that come in vacume-sealed suitcases) are still just wire.