Is imaging reality?

I’m thrilled that I finally reached the point in my quest where instruments are spread across my listening field like a virtual “thousand points of light.”  I would never want to go back to the dark ages of mediocre imaging, But as a former classical musician, the thought occurs to me, is this what I hear at a concert, even sitting in the first row?  What we’re hearing is the perspective of where the microphones are placed, generally right on top of the musicians.  So close that directionality is very perceptible, unlike what we hear in the hall. The quality of our systems accurately reproduces this perspective wonderfully. 
But is it this as it is in the real world?
128x128rvpiano

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

I have a system I really enjoy, especially the imaging and sound stage.

My wife & I flew to Boston to enjoy Anne-Sophie Mutter playing the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.  When we returned home I played her SACD of the same concerto, really good, but not like the live performance.  For one thing, my audio system was missing the "visuals" of seeing how hard it is to play that tune.  And the ambiance of the concert hall wasn't the same at home.  Good, but different than the live performances.