Is flat frequency response a hoax?

I have seen a number of speaker companies claiming that their design has a ruler flat response. They then proudly display a graph with a flat line as if it's an indication of its superior quality. Poppycock.

Flat response is a myth. Everybody has different hearing so there's no reason to expect that there would be a one size fits all frequency response.
We don't all wear the same sized shoes do we? Everybody has different sized feet. 

There are plenty of flat response speakers that sound horrible. I've heard quite a lot. There are many non ruler flat great sounding speakers too.
Do not be duped by this hogwash. 

If the mixing engineer used a pair of speakers that is 3db down in the mids and top end then he may have boosted that region by a similar amount. Now when the track gets played on a ruler flat speaker it sounds too bright. So as you can see, a flat response is useless.

kenjit
In monitoring the recording the volume its played at affects the balance they hear which in turn affects the response they build into the recording. In short the only way to hear what they heard is to play it at the volume they heard it at.
There are many factors that affect the response they build into the recording. Playing it at the same volume is not the answer. Your hearing is unlikely to be the same as theirs. Thats going to affect what you hear
why so many recordings have a playback volume that sounds "right".
nonsense. I will play my music at the volume that suits me. If it doesnt sound right then it needs to be fixed. Why should we be forced to listen at a particular volume? 
" Because some people may not know the answer and need to be taught. Other people may not be willing to accept the truth and they may need a bit of persuasion. There are many myths in this hobby that need to be revealed. "

Save us all the trouble and just give us the brand of cheap ear buds you listen to so we can be enter your audio nirvana

@kenjit...…………………...

Thank you very much for schooling us.  I have been in this hobby for 50+ years so I do not need schooling on your audio thoughts and beliefs.   Although you may think you have all the answers, you don't.
Vanilla is by far always the most popular flavor of ice cream.