Is DVD-A still-born?

Do Audiogon members think DVD-A has been too slow getting off the ground?,a respected journalist in the UK thinks it already dead.
SACD has the lead although many of us are holding off the new formats at the moment.
My fear is that the confusion surrounding the new formats in general may limit their success and our ability to buy the new generation of digital recordings.
It takes time for new formats to be introduced but in the meantime my CD collection grows and grows........

Ben
justicels
I agree that SACD and DVD-A need software.

But I remember when CD came out. Most CDs cost about $17-$20 at a time that records cost about half that price. CD's cost at least $30-$40 in today's dollars.

Using the logic that consumers only buy software that costs the same oa the old technology leads to the conclusion that CD should have failed.

High Definiton sound will grow in popularity. I can't see a third format overtaking SACD or DVD-A. Like DD and DTS, I see both DVD-A and SACD surviving.
All these postings about SCAD vs DVD-A are all missing the bigger changes coming. Buried in little news reports is the rumbling of bigger changes afoot, all these high performance digital chips are cheap. Look at the Tripath digital amp that is in the eVo amps, and imagine what happens when there are affordable powered speakers with those little amp boards inside. Over the next 3 years I bet we are going to see a huge wave of all digital systems with great sound (notice the new Krell system?). We'll be seeing digital all the way to the speaker, so no need for expensive tone control cables, maybe no player either. Multichannel systems are coming, not just because of the new formats but because the big players know they can sell us entirely new sound systems that will out do most of what's out there today. Will there still be a high-end, I hope so, but just as in the past, today's high-end will become tomorrow's mid-fi. I love my tube pre-amp, but I'm also keeping my eyes opened. Buckle up for a wild ride.
Yes, "all digital" systems are on the way. And I agree have the potential to significantly lower costs and improve sound.

About 20 audio manufacturers (mainly from Japan) have developed a consortium to research DSD/SACD all digital systems. If it's going to be all digital, might as well use the best currently available (DSD/SACD).

But there will always be a highend, as long as someone is willing to pay the price.

BTW times have really changed. In the 1960's, highend was a Marantz receiver or power amp feeding into $300 AR-3a speakers with a $100 AR turntable.

Now, even a $3,000 receiver with $2,000 speakers and a $1,000 CD player is not considered highend by some.
Post removed 
Elizabeth,
Ideally I would like to be in your position and have a player for all the formats.
Maybe if I win the lottery or stop buying so many CD's.
I don't know if you read the posting from Resolution Audio but they seem pretty confused about the digital future.
You could well be right in your analysis but will the people who buy the new players really be interested in superior audio?
I think the software is moving too slowly,I really do and when CD was introduced it was the sole digital format which needed a dedicated player-now it's potentially a format war,this is a big difference,also there are very few new records being released on the formats,this is crucial.
I know it's early days for both new formats but I think it's a really different situation from when CD was introduced and I fear as well that the actual DVD-A players are not being introduced at the rate to compete with normal DVD players ,remember DVD (movies) is the fastest selling new format ever...time's running out.....

Ben