Is dedicated PreAmp with Oppo 105 needed?

I think I've a decent HT setup but still feel there's something missing. I watch movies 70% & listen to music 30%.

Since Oppo provides pretty clean sound, wondering if upgrading to a dedicated PreAmp will make any difference. If it does, what would you recommend in say $1000-$2000 range? I intend to bypass the Video & connect straight to my Plasma on HDMI 1.4a.

Thank you!
----------
LRC Speakers: Tyler Acoustics Linbrook System II
Surround Speakers: JBL S312
Amplifier: Parasound Halo A51
BD:Oppo 105
Tape Deck: Nakamichi RX-505
Room: 16x18+ with some open area, so sound can bleed
hitsofmisses

Showing 1 response by georgehifi

Hitsofmisses hi.

Your Oppo has a digital domain volume control, are you using it's 5 channels direct into your Parasound Halo A51, and the sub output into your sub?
As this is the way I would use it, so long as the digital volume control is at or above 75% of full output, if lower you may run the risk of bit stripping, which is not harmful just robs a little definition the further down you go from 75% of full.

From What/hifi measurements
"Please ensure you enter the setup menu and set volume to “Variable”, then lower the volume control to an initial setting of 45-50 before powering on your amplifier or active speakers after factory reset. Volume setting is retained in memory when the player is put in standby. So volume at power on remains the same as volume at power off.

Output impedance 7.1 board L/R front channels 100Ω

Output impedance dedicated stereo board L/R channels 100Ω

Output impedance 7.1 board all channels except L/R front 200Ω

Recommended amplifier input impedance is 47KΩ (Industry standard)

Peak output level: 2.1 Vrms (RCA / Phono)"

All these output impedances and 2.1output volts are a perfect impedance match for the inputs of your Parasound Halo A51 and whatever sub you use.

Cheers George