Is ALL vintage better? NOT Caveat Emptor

I have been around for 58 years now, and the marketing of anything old crap as better than today's gear kinda bothers me, considering that high end designs and features are often passed on to lower priced items over time, and much of today's low end equipment is vastly superior to most of what was sold in the past, and the few exceptions are well documented and raves can be found online. I know, I have owned many items I see now for sale at prices far exceeding their original retail, that would be great bargains if sold at discount, but are total ripoffs at the prices asked for now, often more than modern equipment, and (adding insult to injury) usually require expensive "mods" or "upgrades", bringing the prices up to beyond the price of equivalent modern day high and gear(!).
I was there, my brothers and sisters, and I know.
Caveat Emptor!!!!
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xarray1138

Showing 3 responses by array1138

Thanks, guys! I never expected such a response.
My main warning is intended for those new to this beloved pastime of ours.
I loved my Fisher 400C, my Dynaco A25's, my 10B (now replaced by a 20B) and many of my other vintage items when they were new. I would never go back, however, since the advent of websites like this one gives us the opportunity to afford great modern day equipment for less than retail, and for the prices asked for "vintage" gear one can afford better new-ish equipment, with no need for modification or repair. There are incredible bargains out there for those with the patience to wait for the right deal to come up. I could never afford my present rig at retail, and I am not the least bit embarrassed to admit it.
It's just that when I see old transistor receivers and cheap equipment that was crap back then being sold at prices that should buy you the second coming it p*sses me off and mandates that I warn people that it takes some research and patience to find the older gems that are worth investing in.
Best Wishes,
Ray
Hear! Hear! Jmcgrogan2!
Thank you all for your time and for proving that intelligence is not yet completely lost in this community of ours.
Best Wishes