Is a Ortofon Black a step down from a Pickering XSV 3000

I currently use a Pickering XSV3000 cartridge with original stylus.  Sounds pretty good.  I do not hear many modern cartridges that sound like this one.  Is the Ortofon Black a considerable step back from this cartridge?
tzh21y

Showing 9 responses by tzh21y

I am a believer in the longevity of the stylus in the XSV3000.  I have never had a cartridge stylus last this long ever.  I am not sure if it is the lower tracking force or what it is.  But I am starting to think that it will not last forever with as durable as it is.  
so from reading the responses, I would say that the Ortofon Black is a downgrade for over 700 bucks. 
There is no doubt that the stereohedron stylus is a special stylus and I have been listening for many years.  That is why I started this thread because I do not think you can do better unless you spend a considerable amount more money.  It lasts long time as well.
ll I have to say is I have listened to a lot of cartridges in my day and the Pickering XSV 3000 is still on my table.  To me, that says a lot.  Its why I started this thread.  I know the Ortofon Black is a very well known MM cartridge and I have heard it a few times.  It does not have the same smooth sound of the Pickering.  In fact, the Pickering does remind me more of Koetsu cartridge sound than the Ortofon.  I remember the Ortofon Black being a very detailed MM cartridge.  Thats what I remember.  Other than MC cartridges, what cartridge can compare for the money?  Thats the question.  maybe the Hana?