Is a Denon 5803 too much for B&W CDM 1NT's?

I have just recently really taken up getting into my system. Over the last few months I have been through a whole bunch of different equiptment some of which I really have liked and others I haven't. My question is, I now am running B&W CDM-1NT's as my mains along with a M&K subwoofer. I have been using a Denon 4802R for the last two years with no problems what-so-ever. I recently purchased a Denon 5803 to give it a shot. I figued that it has some of the features that the 4802 doesn't have, which I might enjoy....But is this too much power for the cdm's? They have a raiting of 120 watts, while the denon 5803 puts out a whole 170 watts. Is this just going to give me more headroom, or should I really worry about damaging the speakers.

Thanks for any assistance you can give. I will appreciate anything you can offer. I have been looking for information regarding this topic on the forum, but have not found anything that really addresses this specific question.

Ben
bearotti

Showing 1 response by audiobugged

Seek harder and you will find! Look for "Clipping", & get a grasp on it's meaning. You will not harm the Cdm-1nt's with a few extra Denon wpc's. Your Avr-4802 is spec'd at 120 wpc, yet it will go to 168 wpc prior to clipping. The Bowers will eat up 170 wpc, 250wpc, & I have driven some with well over 600wpc's with no issues. They actually enjoy a steady diet of some real juice, they will really open up. In the words of a wise man... "Don't Worry, Be Happy", and don't loose any sleep over the speakers maximum power rating. As you will read you could actually damage them with too little power... Read On, Learn, & Enjoy!

Just to be safe, I would however duck for cover the first time you power up the Cdm-1nt's with the Avr-5803... I'm Only Kidding! ;0)~ Good Luck!