Ipod + Wadia 170i Dock OR AppleTV + Airport Expres

I find it hard to believe that I am having such a tough time putting together the right ripped digital audio source so I'm putting this question out there.

Option 1: Ipod(s) + Wadia 170i Transport

OR

Option 2: AppleTV + Airport Express (connected to an iMac in a different room)

Relevant Rest of System:
-Headroom Desktop Ultra Amp & Ultra DAC
-PrimaLuna Prologue 3 Preamp
-Wyred4Sound 250 Monoblocks
-Gallo Reference 3.1s (with Gallo sub amp)

I like the expandability and stability of the iPod + Wadia option, and I do not have a TV or monitor in my listening room. Option 2 seems like it should be "better".

Any thoughts or experiences?

Tim
tjnindc

Showing 1 response by sfar

I agree with Ejlif. I love iPods, I think I have six of them if I count my iPhone, but I've never understood why anyone would build a high-quality home system around one. Everything about them is designed for portability and they do that better than anything else but the imperatives of that design goal mean compromises in storage capacity and accessibility that there's no reason to deal with in your main system.

Having a simple dock with line-out capability plugged into your main system does make a lot of sense for those tunes you have only on your iPod but beyond that some kind of music server like an Apple TV, Mac Mini or PC connected to a good-quality DAC and on to your other gear makes a lot more sense to me.