iPhone and Philips SHP9500 headphones

I picked these up today and I am impressed even with my headphone jack in the iPhone 6+
Having said that I have noticed that with the iPhone and my MacBook air (both without a proper DAC)
have a pretty elevated treble response.  It almost sounds electronica like.

It is also potentially just a burn in situation?

It’s all splitting hairs as for $50 they are fantastic.
portlandlay

Showing 3 responses by portlandlay

I am guessing that the amp cannot drive the headphones as it is less so at lower volume.  I just need a DAC.
Thanks Greg. Yeah these headphone are way nicer than the Klipsch I had been using. I like the open back design. I also like they are over ear. A lot of headphone for $50. These are what I got but not at amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

Honestly, I think it’s the amp portion more than the DAC. I think a tad more oomph would help drive these. They are absolutely fun regardless. Some material is fantastic some is a but tilted up.

I hear you shadorne. My experience is that speakers and the recording swamp everything else.

Having said that, you said you not familiar with the headphones.  Maybe you should read about what people are saying about them first.  They are not your ordinary headphones.  Maybe read some reviews on them.

Aside from that I would like a Dragonfly DAC for my Mac computer so spending another $50 (going rate for the original Dragonfly).   I don’t think any of that is out of line.