Intergrated Amp suggestions for B&W 805d4

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and to any music forum for that matter.  I have been reading a lot of threads here that I have been informative and helpful.

I am looking to match an intergrated amp with the new 805s, and would very much appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

I have listened with the Naim Atom and Nova and personally, whilst  I liked the detail, I found it too forward and fatiguing.  With the Hegel 390, I found the bass rounder but top end more forward. With the Musical Fidelity M5si, I much preferred this sound as it was rounder and softer yet detailed but less detailed than the Naim.  (Apologies if I use the wrong audiophile terminology, I am unfamiliar with these terms but I am only using what I feel best fits with my discription of sound)

A few people have recommended the MA252 and MA 352 from McIntosh as they advised that this will soften the diamond tweeter and also bring warmth and extension to the bass.  Others have recommended tube amps like Prima Luna.

i have never owned or had any experience with tube amps.

Any suggestions, info or advice  for a good amp to match my speakers?

Thank you in advance.

ezikl

From your post the Circle Labs A200 would be perfect for you! It has the power, tonality, and sonic demeanor you are looking for.  I have owned several big dollar units from the “big names” and they simply don’t match the purity of tone, body and realism of the A200.  Very special unit.  

2nd on the McIntosh MA352. Have tried it with B&W towers and the Mac brings out the best in them.

I had 804D with Naim amplification and I agree it sounds a little harsh. I demoed a few amps. The best that went with the 804D was a Vitus RI100 (now called RI101) for a clean but smooth sound. One stage further were amps from Luxman, whose sound is very warm, almost tube like. The Luxman lost some of the detail that the Vitus brought however.  
Both were far better than the Naim 552 pre with a 250 power amp.

In the past I had tried tubes also but found B&W 800 series do seem to prefer more power.

My review of the amps is here

Can’t go wrong with the MA352.
I used to own it and pushed the 803 D3.
I now have separate amps but still the same tube pre amp and solid state output.
it is a good combo.

You need a warm sounding amp with B&W speakers. Check out the latest McIntosh integrateds. They have 250-300 watts with plenty of power.