Interesting/unusual concert pairings.

The Who as openers for Herman’s Hermits. Pretty much a failure. John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra opening for Zappa and the Mothers.  Worked so well I attended in Milwaukee and Boston. McLaughlin and Zappa call and response noodling was spectacular.  Roger Daltry did not join Peter Noone for a duet of, “Mrs. Brown you’ve got a lovely daughter “
128x128wideload
@thecarpathian I actually saw Madonna once in Toronto. Not sure who I went with but I enjoyed the show and now have 1 of her albums in my collection.
Yyzsantabarbara, well she is world famous for a reason. Just not my cup of tea. Glad you enjoyed her concert.
In the 1970's, I saw Journey open for Emerson, Lake and Palmer -- Journey was not well-received.  Also saw Little Feat open for Electric Light Orchestra -- another odd combination but not nearly as poorly received.
Buddy Guy and Junior Wells opening for Dave Mason at the Iowa Fieldhouse  in the early 70's. BG and JW was the best live performance I've ever encountered and started me on that long road with the blues. And that's coming from an old Deadhead. However about a third of the way through Dave Mason, there was hardly anybody left in the audience. They weren't bad. Just didn't have near the energy and showmanship of the first act.
Wendy Williams and the Plasmatics  opened for Kiss- probably 1982. Hard core punk warming up for theatrical rock. Enjoyed both bands immensely. Wendy was in saran wrap.