Interesting ASR review of small GR Research speaker kit

I bounce between various kinds of analysis — more subjective listening reports, more quantitative measurement analyses and, my favorite, those that combine both strategies to tell a useful story about audio products.

Amir of ASR has just done a very powerful takedown of a fairly inexpensive kit being sold by Danny at GR Research. Not only does he prove his point about the speakers, he also makes (to my mind) a very convincing case that Danny put his finger on the scale in how he reported his own measurements. 

I'm not in any camp — Danny's or Amir's or anyone else's. What I appreciate is thoroughness and meticulousness in exposition. Danny does that in his own videos. (Again -- to me. I'm really still learning and cannot easily spot gaps in argument in this subject matter.)

I know people with some of GR's best kits — and I've heard one of them. They sounded incredible. I've watched a bunch of Danny's videos where he criticizes other companies; I've come away thinking, "Wow, he really revealed some of the grift embedded in that product." 

But here, the tables are turned, it seems, on Danny. I hope he responds, both to defend his reputation and methods, but also because it will set in relief where some of the distance may be between these two dominant online figures' methods in assessing what makes for a good speaker.

https://youtu.be/IikqAg38FPs

128x128hilde45

Testing any desktop speaker with a full range tone at 96dB is frankly insane.

@lanx0003 

Like OP has mentioned earlier, GR admits his ignorance and provides the update 

That’s what you got out of the video? How dense are you? Do yourself a favor and watch it again. This time unmute your device. 

Not up to wood working/ cabinet build, but have up graded cross overs.

To any/ all that have built speaker kits , I would appreciate advice/ suggestions as to where to begin.

I had no trouble with & really appreciated the improvement in sound quality of the Volti upgrade to my 70’s vintage used K-horns.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jay