Interest in Joule Electra VZN220 amps?

I have a friend with a pair of "Rite of Passage" VZN 220 OTL amplifiers he needs to sell.They are built with "musicwood" and have matching Variacs for slow turn-on. I have no idea what price these would sell for. Does anyone have experience selling or buying these?
mrdean

Showing 1 response by tubes108

I used to own VZN 160s, the model directly below the 220s, and they were always reliable. Unlike some other OTL amplifiers, daily use of the ruggedly built 160s gave me a sense of confidence that they would not cause problems.

Although my amps never required servicing I wanted Joule to thoroughly check them over prior to my selling them. In lieu of sending them to the east coast, Jud recommended I use Mark Gilmore located in Southern Cal for this service, or for any other work on my Joule amps. I was very pleased with Mark’s work & knowledge of these OTLs. Mark is a well known industry person, e.g., the designer of the Gilmore speakers and amplifiers. I don't know if Mark still does repairs. If so, he would be another avenue for service should service ever be required.

Additionally, I’d expect that Nick Gowan, owner of True Sound in Campbell, CA could perform repairs on Joule-Electra gear. Nick worked on some non-Joule-Electra OTLs I owned; his skills at audio repairs are well known and he is a class act.

In dealing with many audio vendors for support of their products, some vendors were good, some terrible, some fabulous. My experience with Joule was in the fabulous category. They were always responsive, responsible, and very accommodating.

Regarding the 220 amps you mentioned. My 160’s had the matching variacs which was an optional enhancement that increased the purchase price. Standard models came with a single variac that adjusted both amplifiers. Thus the 220s in question may have a little more value than standard 220s.